The Value of a Turtle - Split from the Honey Girl thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if the person who did this was some hungry South Pacific Islander who had been in Hawaii for a few weeks, what exactly do you hope will happen to him?
have you been to Micronesia or anyplace like that where it is common practice to eat turtles? (I seriously doubt this was a Hawaiian)

And if *he* is ignorant of our laws, how severe do you want to be? Let's imagine he has hunted for his family, from the sea, all his life and is visiting his cousin, and has never been off his island before. What do you, from Indianna, see as his justice? I'd really like to know. I find it very sad this happened but your fund a litlle nuts. You should really worry more about monofilament. I've seen many turtles caught in that and have never heard of this type of "murder" in nine years.

In other parts of the world, green turtles face a serious threat from the destruction and loss of nesting sites. Fortunately, over 90% of nesting activity for the Hawaiian green turtle population occurs at the French Frigate Shoals, inside a National Wildlife Refuge System administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This, combined with its threatened status under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, has created an environment in which the Hawaiian green turtle should prosper.
I think there was a bit too much anthropomorphizing
Well, Tim, you know better than anybody, there is a lot of that in Hawaiian culture.

Who honestly thinks this was a Hawaiian? lol, if they catch wind of this they are going to be pissed.

I could be wrong, but I think you are a couple generations too late with the Hawaiians and indigenous people speech?

I think you need to get a grip with reality, no offense. Sewage, herpes virus and polluters are who you should gunning for. (of which you might want to consider your own contribution--that is not so easy)

over 90% of nesting activity for the Hawaiian green turtle population occurs at the French Frigate Shoals, inside a National Wildlife Refuge System

thanks, George Bush.

Last edited:
In regards to the use of the Honey Girl Reward Fund funds, please see my post on the other Honey Girl thread. In regards to Honey Girl's death, a necropsy/autopsy was performed and it was determined that she was deliberately killed...knife marks, bone cuts and scratches, specific organs/body parts removed, etc. Her death was not natural and not an accident, i.e. a boat propeller, etc. It was not determined why the meat and organs were taken...the results were inconclusive as to "why" and as to "who."

There is a standard federal and state penalty for harming and or killing a threatened and/or endangered species. We are not acting as judge and jury. The law applies to everyone. If this resulted from a cultural misunderstanding, then it is our job to effectively merge the needs of all respective cultures- that will take time, research, trial and error, and resources- all of which we are trying to provide. Also, if money needs to be spent on monofilament removal, then so be it. You divers are the experts on what's going on over there- that's why I'm here. Please continue to share what and where you think we need to focus our attention. Thanks!

P.S. A standard and common definition of murder that I found:
"Unlawful killing of another with intent to kill, or with wicked recklessness to life."
I believe that Honey Girl's death qualifies under that definition.

sigh.

then it is our job to effectively merge the needs of all respective cultures-

You could start with the fact that most Hawaiians and most Americans don't consider this murder, but a very sad, unfortunate happening
I guess you can give yourself "that job" but don't be shocked if some environmentalists find you disturbing and a liabilty to our credibility.
I am sure you are a good person, I just can't believe you seem to know so little about what really threatens these turtles.

Maybe I am wrong...
I think the "wicked" part might be a *little dramatic* if you have traveled into these cultures. I am really sorry, it's just too Indiana for me.

I do not agree with that statement. I do not see how any one person can speak for most people. Just my opinion. I would really like to hear more ideas on how we can be helpful to the turtles. Thanks!

As Catherine indicated, turtles are threatened much more by other factors. She mentioned the herpes virus. If that is what is causing the growths on many, many turtles (I'm not sure what the cause is), then I believe that threatens the turtles much more than a single sensless killing, which is very rare. I see turtles that can barely swim because of growths on their flippers and some nearly blinded by growths on their eyes.

My guess is that whoever did this knew it was wrong. The turtle was mostly buried in the sand, as if trying to bury the evidence.

I feel the scope of your fund as outlined in your post is too broad. It dilutes the effectiveness. Are you going to pay folks out of the fund to patrol the beaches? There are many people that do that anyway. Usually, someone speaks up.

Narrow your scope and look at some of the things that Catherine pointed out that may be a bigger threat than the outright killing of the animals.

P.S. A standard and common definition of murder that I found:

"Unlawful killing of another with intent to kill, or with wicked recklessness to life."
I believe that Honey Girl's death qualifies under that definition.

Even with this definition, it could only be considered murder if Honey Girl was killed by another turtle. Absent that twist, it's still not murder - but I will agree that it sounds like it was a senseless act of killing...

it could only be considered murder if Honey Girl was killed by another turtle

:wink:

Oh...and Gill Nets are a big turtle enemy. Now Hawaiians do use those.

it could only be considered murder if Honey Girl was killed by another turtle

:wink:

Oh...and Gill Nets are a big turtle enemy. Now Hawaiians do use those.

Lay gill nets restricted in Hawaiian waters
Action widely applauded as vital step to
help restore Hawaii’s nearshore fish populations

The Conservancy and its partners had reason to celebrate earlier this month when Hawai’i Governor Linda Lingle signed new rules severely restricting the use of lay gill nets in the islands. The new rules mean Hawai‘i joins many other Pacific islands and all other U.S. coastal states in restricting the use of this indiscriminate fishing method.

thank you Republican Governor Linda Lingle.

I'd give my money to the Nature Conservancy and get more cluck for the buck.

The North Shore of Oahu and the Kona Coast have a number of turtle haul out beaches. Researchers theorize that our ocean temps are at the cold extreme of the green sea turtle's range, so they occasionally warm themselves out of the water. No other location that I've heard of has this green sea turtle behavior.

Curious, not attacking. All that I have read, and been told by the volunteers is that they (the turtles not the volunteers) beach themselves to clean the salt out of their systems. You can watch them spit salty, foamy water out while they are on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom