The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally wouldn't mind paying to dive there. Maybe since it's gonna be a 'national monument', maybe they'll organize some stuff (tours?).

Oh, and sorry I didn't see this was posted already.

-Francis

Agree 100% that this has been the effort of many others over the years. The story sounds great that the White House screening of JM Cousteau's "Voyage to Kure" is great PR, but perhaps just that. However I certainly applaud JMC, Dick Murphy, Don Santee and others from Ocean Futures for their documentary on the region!

There was a really interesting son-of-Cousteau series on the NW Hawaiian Islands a few weeks ago on PBS. I didn't even know they existed.

Knowing PBS they'll probably replay it soon. Definitely worth seeing.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
The AP story says that diving will be allowed, though I can't imagine how one would access the area. A liveaboard would sure be cool.

The AP story says low-impact uses like photography and diving will be allowed and the 8 commercial fishing permits for the area will be phased out.

On another note, the subject of this thread is pretty inaccurate. This was in no way Bush' idea. It represents the hard work of a lot of people over a lot of years going back to when Bush was still the *****************. Sure, he's going to take credit for it now, even though this has been the most aggresively anti-environment administration in history, but that's just politics. The NWHI preserve has been in the works for well over a decade or longer and is really the result of a lot of hard work by people you'll never hear of.

I don't think he is Bush Bashing david, just pointing out the facts.

even if you think this is the only good thing he has ever done, lets try and be grateful. This polarizes people and gets us nowhere on environmental issues. Reef preservation needs to be embraced on both party agendas.

I hope there are funds to enforce the no take zones. This area could attract many foreign fishing fleets. Maybe I could get that job . . . . .

No, I am sure they cannot. I have seen some of the advisory councils drafts, not the final product.....OH "enforce". hmm, yea, rules and enforcement different, huh? Well, they would have to come from VERY far away!

Whatever. thanks to the President and others for stepping to the plate

We all have opinions and ----- but thanks to all and the President for stepping to that plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom