The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say bravo when anyone does good things for the environment no matter who they might be or what the reasons. I don’t care if people do good things for selfish reasons as long as they do it.

I agree that credit should be given where credit is due - and that can be applied to either side of the Bush argument at the preference of the reader.

And I'll just leave it at that - other than to admit that I read "Bush's plan to create world's largest ocean preserve" and the cynic in me immediatly completed it with "for offshore drilling".

It is a very nice thing for him to do and I don't doubt his motivations for a minute - another neutral statement you can also take anyway you prefer.

RonFrank:
Just as Bush is not alone in creating this national monument, he is also not alone in any policy decisions he makes. To think otherwise is foolish. :11:

I vote Ron gets the award for post of the week. Or maybe the month. Puts the bias and personal attacks in an appropriate light.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Good stuff. Thanks.

scubadobadoo:
That I can agree with.

And yes dlndavid, it is a fact that this administration (not just Bush himself) has been the most aggresively anti-environment administration in history. As a diver, you shouldn't be able to stand that.
Popycock. There's no such thing as "anti-environment". No one is against the environment. What you mean to say is that this administration does not agree with you on how to best protect the environment, and refuses to say, "How high?" when extremist envioronmental groups say, "Jump!". Everyone wants to appropriately protect the environment, but there is frequently vehement disagreement about wht that means, even within the scientific community (see, controlled burning, ivory). If that weren't so, then we'd only have need for one scientist, and one presidential candidate.
As for his other political decisions (some good and some not so good like most politicians), I will leave that for another message board.
So, why bring it up at all? No one but you has mentioned his other political decisions.

As a diver, and someone who loves the ocean, I think this is unequivically a good thing. Even without money for enforcement (which I would like to see down the road),this will draw attention and the protection of federal law to the area. It seem that the area is very remote for diving, but I am certain that if it is feasible, there will soon be commercial diving trips to the area.

DallasNewbie:
Popycock. There's no such thing as "anti-environment". No one is against the environment. What you mean to say is that this administration does not agree with you on how to best protect the environment, and refuses to say, "How high?" when extremist envioronmental groups say, "Jump!". Everyone wants to appropriately protect the environment, but there is frequently vehement disagreement about wht that means, even within the scientific community (see, controlled burning, ivory). If that weren't so, then we'd only have need for one scientist, and one presidential candidate.So, why bring it up at all? No one but you has mentioned his other political decisions.

As a diver, and someone who loves the ocean, I think this is unequivically a good thing. Even without money for enforcement (which I would like to see down the road),this will draw attention and the protection of federal law to the area. It seem that the area is very remote for diving, but I am certain that if it is feasible, there will soon be commercial diving trips to the area.

Agreed. I doubt anyone is anti- environmental. An example is a story I heard about PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals?!) where they let loose labratory animals (yay for no animal testing) and wherein the animals did not have the skills to survive outside and promptly died.

There are alot of different variations on environmentalism, and having just taken an ethics class on this, i find it interesting. Do we preserve this area as a whole, or should we have focused on the hawaiian squirrlfish ans only preserved that species?

Either way, I appluad the people involved in the process, Bush included. Politics aren't always as bad as they seem.

Look, I deal with politics for a living. If you insist on right motives to go along with right policies, then you will never be satisified. Look at the final product...and recognize that success has many fathers. It's part of the grease that makes the whole system work.

The policy Bush imposed here was a Good Thing...and that's good enough for me.

ditto.

wow, I am glad some of you people aren't my parents. Imagine a person who does something great and everybody says "but you really suck at everything else, BTW"
I could defend this guy all day, but I just would like to ask that you remember he is a human being who is probably doing the best he can at a very tough job. Have a little compassion. He is our president.

Ron, that was a nice post. I keep trying to plug our gov because I know that woman works harder than any politician I have ever seen, and she wanted this passionately. I noticed the other day she is one of the most popular governors in America.

I suggest that we focus on what was done and the implications that it has on the diving community, and not who did it.

the K

mccabejc:
I vote Ron gets the award for post of the week. Or maybe the month. Puts the bias and personal attacks in an appropriate light.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Good stuff. Thanks.

Glad you liked it, but why stop there? How about post of the year, decade or even century with a very large cash award much of which would be donated to worthy causes like Kimber, and the Ron memorial diving foundation chartered to ensure that I get to dive a LOT! :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom