The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have applauded ANY president that made this move...This can only be a good thing regardless of other's perceived motives. I go to this board (in part) to escape from the daily pettiness that invades my world. Apparently, there are some who can't take a break from the slings and arrows. That is truly a shame.

I vote that there is a moratorium on Scubaboard on cheap, political shots. Let's give it a rest and stay connected through our love of diving.

Off the soapbox now....

I want to go to Kure!!! I'll pay any reasonable price!!! Anyone with connections?

scubadobadoo:
I don't think he is Bush Bashing david, just pointing out the facts.
facts? what facts? Can't stand it either eh?

mccabejc:
There was a really interesting son-of-Cousteau series on the NW Hawaiian Islands a few weeks ago on PBS. I didn't even know they existed.

Knowing PBS they'll probably replay it soon. Definitely worth seeing.

I watched that too. I was amazed at how much garbage they were finding in such a remote area.

ohh well it seems my post disappeared :(. anyway, to try and make little me heard again in a more conservative way: i am very happy that the acting president did a favourable and good move to put his signature under it. it is definately better than many other of his actions in the last couple years. i hope he keeps it up!
now, i hope that was political correct enough to find it back here in a couple hours :wink:.

It's easy to blame one guy for things that we don't like, and it's easy to credit one guy for the things we do like.

Just as Bush is not alone in creating this national monument, he is also not alone in any policy decisions he makes. To think otherwise is foolish. :11:

What I do like about what was done is that by making it a Nationial Monument, it immediately has protection, and Federal funding. :salute:

Like any national monument there will be those that visit that break the rules. The good news is that in this environment those that visit will be regulated by those that are making money providing the means to make a visit, i.e., the live aboards, dive Ops, cruise ships, whatever. Not sure how much private or commercial involvement the government will allow which could result in very limited access, but we shall see.

Unlike most national monuments where you can show up, and are basically unsupervised, in this case the visitors by in large WILL be supervised as will the operators running such ventures.

Anyone with a boat may be able to get a permit (some speculation on my behalf), and those individuals could be the ones to abuse the rules (fishing, removing coral, whatever). The area is huge, and enforcing restrictions is going to be difficult.

However IMO regardless if if you like Bush or not, he very well could have NOT done this, and it did take Presidential approval to get this done in the manner it was accomplished.

I applaud this effort by ALL that made it possible including the individual that was very key to the success, our President.

If i am correct it was his Father who made the Fl keys a national marine sanctuary in 1990 and that has been a blessing, so i will say again thanks to all including Elder and younger Bush

RonFrank:
However IMO regardless if if you like Bush or not, he very well could have NOT done this, and it did take Presidential approval to get this done in the manner it was accomplished.

That I can agree with.

And yes dlndavid, it is a fact that this administration (not just Bush himself) has been the most aggresively anti-environment administration in history. As a diver, you shouldn't be able to stand that.

As for his other political decisions (some good and some not so good like most politicians), I will leave that for another message board.

catherine96821:
even if you think this is the only good thing he has ever done, lets try and be grateful. This polarizes people and gets us nowhere on environmental issues. Reef preservation needs to be embraced on both party agendas.

As divers the environemnt is especially important to us and we should applaud whatever improves it, whomever improves it. Bush signed it, and probably pushed for it, he gets credit for it. Since you live in Hawaii, Catherine, I'm anxious to know how Hawaiians feel about it? How will it change things there?

pilot fish:
Bush signed it, and probably pushed for it, he gets credit for it.

As I understand it, Bush was sold on the idea at a state dinner that included a film and presentation by Jacques Cousteau's son; he didn't really push for it.

My guess is his administration was looking for something to point to whenever someone criticizes his environmental record, and the stumbled on to this. Now, after a flick of his pen, he can answer his critics by saying he created “Worlds Largest Ocean Preserve”.

Whether I’m right or wrong about the underlying politics, I think this is fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom