The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They say fish in restaurants in Hawaii will jump way up, now that the longliners will be "kicked out". Kind of like high oil prices....we will have to have a little sacrafice to start saving some of these places. They say Ahi will be greatly effected. Many of the fish caught in the major chain spawn up at the NWHI they say. It is like a fish nursery.

Marine "waste" plastics, lines, nets all end up clumped on the shores up there due to the way the currents converge. Trash finds it's way from thousands of miles and this might not be effected in anyway by the new sanctuary status. I think the threat of alien species has been a big worry too. Often these things get introduced on ships....

Kudos to Punahou school for teaching contemporary ecological current events! My child just finished a very thorough section on the Marine Biology and policy of the NWHI's.

catherine96821:
They say fish in restaurants in Hawaii will jump way up, now that the longliners will be "kicked out". Kind of like high oil prices....we will have to have a little sacrafice to start saving some of these places. They say Ahi will be greatly effected. Many of the fish caught in the major chai spawn up at the NWHI they say. It is like a fish nursery.

When I first read this I thougt you were saying the fish in the restaurants would be jumping! :11doh: Ahhh.. Prices will jump!

I've read a five year phase out, so the impact should be gradual. I'd also think the fisherman (boy I bet they are PISSED) will find other grounds. In Denver we are almost as far from fresh seafood as Hawaii is from the mainland. I can find fresh fish here at a lot of restaurants and fish markets, and the prices are not much higher than if I go to FL, or OR. There are exceptions, you won't find street corner stands selling live crab on the cheap for example like we could in VA, and MD.

I not sure if Hawaii needed a boost in tourism, but this certainly can not hurt. I've not read estimates, but assuming this park takes off and commercial operators are allowed access to the area, I think this would be worth tens of millions+ annually to Hawaii as yet another reason for people to visit.

blueeyes_austin:
Look, I deal with politics for a living. If you insist on right motives to go along with right policies, then you will never be satisified. Look at the final product...and recognize that success has many fathers. It's part of the grease that makes the whole system work.

The policy Bush imposed here was a Good Thing...and that's good enough for me.

and failure an orphan.

scubadobadoo:
That I can agree with.

And yes dlndavid, it is a fact that this administration (not just Bush himself) has been the most aggresively anti-environment administration in history. As a diver, you shouldn't be able to stand that.

As for his other political decisions (some good and some not so good like most politicians), I will leave that for another message board.
Facts are supported, opinions are stated. Where is your support of what you call facts?
And reading it on moveon dot org doesn't make it a fact. :D

yea, Michael Moore needs to worry about his own subdermal environment. He just has so little credibility to me.

I agree with many of the divers in this thread that the reason is secondary to the results. The results are positive and that makes ALL the difference.

As one poster accurately said here, no one is intentionally anti-invironment. He's right, that accuasation was poppycock, or is it poopycrock? :)

catherine96821:
yea, Michael Moore needs to worry about his own environment---his body.

I just spilled my water :) I have to fall over laughing at how some people carp about the invironment and their own lives and space are so befouled. It is a postive step for the Planet ,and that's what I care about.

poppycock I think

pilot fish:
As one poster accurately said here, no one is intentionally anti-invironment.

Anti-invironment? :D

Unfortunately I don't believe that for a minute. No one would admit to being con environment. However actions speek louder than words, and all anyone must do is to look at what people drive, or visit a high use park (trash EVERYWHERE) to see how little people care for the environment. Why do people drive 8mpg Hummers that never see a dirt road (or for most reasons)? Why do people litter? Why do the majority of cars on our crowded rush hour highways have only ONE driver?

This is not an attack on the way people choose to live, but IMO people should take more time to consider their choices before prouncing themselves green! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom