The World's Largest Marine Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Why do people drive 8mpg Hummers that never see a dirt road (or for most reasons)?" Because they're fun, huge, safe, and it provides a sense of independence from the rest of people with lookalike cars.

I drive a Honda Accord, but if I had the money and there was a Hummer that would run on bio-diesel, I might be interested. Not because it's environmentally better, but because it's cheaper.

It's a free country. We live for ourselves and our needs, not the environment. I don't work for mother earth, I work and live for myself.

Ecolovers don't get it. Some groups even want to ban toilet paper and plastic diapers! Wanna save the earth? Make it economically cheaper to do so. But don't raise my gasoline tax! I'm not gonna take public transportation because it's uncomfortable, unreliable, and full of homeless people that stink to high heaven.

On the issue of Bush, he deserves the credit because he has the power not veto this thing. Besides, Clinton took credit for welfare reform which was a republican idea from the start.

Some groups even want to ban toilet paper and plastic diapers!
hey, I gave the cloth diaper thing my best shot....and I ran my mouth so much, I had to stick it out way longer than I would have otherwise! All that laundry, water, soap, fuel...just not sure. It was tough and very unpleasant. :(

yea, baby though,...those cloth diapers were a badge of honor back in the day....:babycrawl :yelclap:

greg454:
It's a free country. We live for ourselves and our needs, not the environment. I don't work for mother earth, I work and live for myself.

What's this "We" stuff? That doesn't describe me or anyone I respect.

Have you ever considered looking beyond your own self-interest? People do it all the time.

Once again, I think we need to concentrate on what this sanctuary means to the diving community.

the K

Greg are you back, are we feeding you?

The Kraken:
Once again, I think we need to concentrate on what this sanctuary means to the diving community.

the K
What it does will have to play out in the future, what was done is done. It is a national monument. Is this a step up from a sanctuary or preserve? We will see.

“States and federal partners, national and local conservation organizations and thousands of interested individuals have made possible the protection of this national monument. This is collaboration at its best,”

greg454:
"Why do people drive 8mpg Hummers that never see a dirt road (or for most reasons)?" Because they're fun, huge, safe, and it provides a sense of independence from the rest of people with lookalike cars.

I drive a Honda Accord, but if I had the money and there was a Hummer that would run on bio-diesel, I might be interested. Not because it's environmentally better, but because it's cheaper.

Ecolovers don't get it. Some groups even want to ban toilet paper and plastic diapers! Wanna save the earth? Make it economically cheaper to do so. But don't raise my gasoline tax! I'm not gonna take public transportation because it's uncomfortable, unreliable, and full of homeless people that stink to high heaven.

On the issue of Bush, he deserves the credit because he has the power not veto this thing. Besides, Clinton took credit for welfare reform which was a republican idea from the start.

Buy a car with a diesel motor and it will run on bio-diesel with out any modifications. It's not a matter "if", it's a matter of where do you have bio-diesel available?

One of the great things about diving for me has always been the wide range of backgrounds that fellow divers come from. Part of that has always been leaving politics out of it, at least for me.

It is more than possible to be on the right side of the isle and still an environmentalist, indeed I think it just makes you a more balanced environmentalist. :)

Having said all that, this is great news. I'm no tree-hugger, but when I dive I get into a very conservationist state of mind. Hawai'i was one of the best diving experiences of my life, not because of the reefs or sea life, but because every dive shop I dove with was so intent on enforcing environment-safe diving practices. With the shear number of endemic species in the Hawai'ian waters, I'm glad to see that there is a marine park there now.

As an asside to this, we had a shabby-diver with us that a) adjusted his fin during a dive and decended tank first onto a reef while doing so, and b) chased and harassed a green sea turtle with his camera. I mentioned it to a dive master on the boat and the guy was banned from that dive shop. Pretty impressive without government intervention...food for thought.

I thought politics was verbotin on this board.

I thought this thread was here to discuss the merits of a national sanctuary.

If you want to bash Bush, Clinton, left wing-nuts, right wing-nuts, environmentalists, anti-environmentalists, Michael Moore, Ted Kennedy, or anyone else ... please take it to another forum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom