Thigh pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said, go straight to fixed pockets. The ones that strap on are a pain when loaded.

+1 on securing the contents. Rooting about in a loaded pocket usually means something will get away.

A no-pocket option is to clip WetNotes, search reel, and a spare light in your goodie bag, if you are diving with one. My LDS makes these up on occasion if you really pester them. -reach down, open the bag and everything is clipped in a convenient location. (yes, I know it is a brass clip, but it's staying!)

View attachment 119162

If you're thinking of going to tech eventually and you're going to have whatever piece of exposure gear you have now, just go with the big glue on pockets to start.

No one ever complained that they had too much space to put stuff.
The funny thing is I don't have any interest to go "tech" at this point... it's just the gear configs make a lot of intuitive sense to me.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I'll go ahead and make these big.

I'm trying to avoid the glue on because 1) I have 7 wetsuits right now, 2) they often get layered, and 3) I use them for surfing and diving. I'm not interested in having pockets on my suits while surfing, hence the idea for the strap on versus glue on pockets. I can always modify them later if I decide I want to glue them on a couple suits.

You can also have a wetsuit repair shop sew 3-sided neoprene pockets to your leg. Your suit neoprene
serves as the back of the pocket.

I have a pocket on my drysuit (everdry 4) it is almost exactly the size of my scuba mask with a zipper on top. A good size big enough to get a gloved hand into and carry something of value like a light, mask, toys for deep class, etc.

Those are basically the same thing I was thinking of doing when I did my first searches for after-market pockets. Do you find the elastic on the thigh strap works well for keeping it stable? I was thinking velcro because I have a lot of it available, but the elastic would, to my mind, keep it in the same place better than velcro would.

I don't really have a lot I'm going to put in these pockets but my SMB isn't exactly super compact, especially with a finger reel so I'm torn between small and not likely to move a lot and large enough to be useful but maybe move around more.

At this point I might put an SMB and a small wet notes or slate in a single pocket but I can't think of much more I want to put there. My sheers and z-cutter are both on my harness belt, though I may move one of those down to my leg if I make two pockets.

I mentioned in another thread I seem to be moving more and more toward a "tech" rig, and these pockets are another step in that direction... a lot of these things just make sense.

Yep I find the elastic works just fine, the elastic part has some "grippy" stuff on it so it doesn't slip. In the pocket I carry Carter SMB, EMT shears, Mirror, 30m spool, Jotron strobe, whistle and Dive Alert air horn. I have not experienced any significant movement of the pocket carrying these items. I like this pocket as I use different suits. I did "fix" the belt loop to the harness using a small piece of bungee, I can post a photo if you're interested.

I use a strap on pocket. Works fine for me. It does fall down when i'm gearing up, but once looped to the harness sits there. No problems with it rotating.

Why not shorts with pockets? That is what I use in the topics, and am happy with them. Otherwise glued on is far superior.

Seven wetsuits? That sounds like an issue. I get by with one 3mm fullsuit and a drysuit!

Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts scuba pocket&Hit=1
Surfing, remember. Surfing in a drysuit would simply be silly... at least in my opinion. Maybe if I were trying to surf waves of a glacier calving but I'm not that hard core.

► 1:37► 1:37

Glacier Surfing Alaska - YouTube

Right now I have a sleeveless shorty (3mm), a long sleeve shorty (2.5mm), a farmer john (3mm), a step in jacket (7mm) a 3mm full suit (bought because my 4/3 was delayed on a plane), 4/3 full suit, a 5mm full suit and a couple of shirts and vests. Most of these suits I've had for years. I've spent $260 total on 3 suits since I started diving and one was an "emergency" spur of the moment purchase because I don't rent wetsuits especially when I can buy one for $100 versus renting for $20.

I would like to go dry someday but right now it's just not in the budget. I'm hoping in a year or two I can justify it to myself and get a tri-lam suit. I keep looking for used suits, though, just in case I find one that might actually fit.

Back
Top Bottom