Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All usable [fit to be used], If so, what a score, or did you find an owner?
This was in the olden days, before the internet was what it now is, and I was only there for the afternoon. I walked around the carpark for about 1/2 an hour, trying to find the owner but couldn’t. When it was time to leave I shrugged, packed it all up and left with my new gear.
My buddy and I debated whether to hand it in to the cops and decided it was just better for me to give him a few hundred dollars for his half.
🏴‍☠️
My guess is that someone dropped it overboard somewhere and it washed ashore where I found it. Leisure Island is actually a small rocky outcrop, more of a peninsula, next to the main surf beach in Mt Maunganui, Tauranga, New Zealand. A lot of the flotsam from the wreck of the Rena washed up there when it ran aground at Astrolabe reef.

So one afternoon in RI, someones forgot:
2 sets of Rocket fins
an inflatable float (the good ones people use for classes)
a heated drysuit

the drysuit went to a dive shop and we reconnected with the owner that night when he got home with out it.
I took the float home to CT and returned it to the instructor’s shop on Monday.
never found out who left the fins.

My shop in CT on a couple of occasions texted/called me to grab stuff they or students left behind. It worked everytime. Even if they never saw me there.

While I didn't find it, someone else managed to find one of my fins that decided to take a solo-dive off the side of the boat I was on.

1706160677831.jpeg

found some oddities that have interested me
- a tray of eggs still intact at 36m from a shipwreck that went down 30 years previous.

human bones in the solomons on ww2 shipwrecks,

ampules of morphine in the hospital of a wreck

a full human skeleton in a cave 450 m from the entrance ( cant give more details as its still under police investigation )

a small bottle of amphetamines in a bottle inside a Japanese plane cockpit found in the Philippines ( apparently used to keep them awake on long flights)

a flag of bermuda and carnival bunting in a locker on a russian cruise liner ( what is interesting is that this area has had probably a thousand divers go past itand nobody looked inside )

not me but a buddy- found a childs shoe on a historic wreck -upon research discovered the captain lost his wife and child along with 12 other on board around 1884

a fishing rod that someone lost a year before -and was on the same boat we were diving from when I found it

found a cool store on a wreck with hundreds of bottles of champagne

watched a doco of a sinking boat and a woman was being interviewed after about the stuff she lost amongst others things a tennis racquet - found it a year later

- A big dildo
- A dead rabbit (which I rather brilliantly used to scare my dive buddy)
- An intact chicken egg (from the Zenobia, there were hundreds of them on the sea bed at one point)
- A weight belt with 14kg lead (retrieving that nearly killed me)
- Diving fin on the Thistlegorm (apparently the owner had a hard time getting home in the strong current)

Plus I got to dive the Alexandria in Cyprus within a few days of it going down. We found all sorts of things, but a hardwood rope work spike has ended up on the wall at my dad's house.

A dead rabbit (which I rather brilliantly used to scare my dive buddy)
Do tell, do tell!
As for me:
1 bottle of some strong schnapps (still debating whether to drink it or to use it as a fire starter)
1 Iphone which I could not unlock to comb for owner info
old revolvers ranging from around WW1 to more modern ages
ammo, hand grenades, artillery/tank rounds
bunch of fishing lures etc etc.

Palm Beach, FL at Flower Garden reef, found a pink SMB
already found the owner, a diver from the first group in the water

I found a $50 last summer diving the snorkel trail in Lauderdal. Two spear guns (different occasions. One was returned to the owner six months later. The second after not finding the owner, sold for $150 and split with my dive buddy.

Hilariously, I had some family members believe that I found a gym bag of drug money (one of my secret fantasies).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom