Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no good decent cheap underwater detector...the rule of thumb is like everything else u get what you pay for...fisher...garrett..whites plus a few others all have water machines..not trying to push you off but..getting a detector is like buying a car..you need to go look and test drive to see what model will fit your hunting needs...some are pulse induction ..great for black sand and salt water...but not so great for fresh water..if working around docks..you may want to have some decent level of discrimination..but then again..i dig all targets as alot of iron will mask over good targets...whites has one called Beach hunter id .which is rated for diving but not deep..which is good cause thats is where the people lose stuff...in the shallower water....go online and check out some factory site's..i would say a decent water machine shouldnt cost you more than at tops 6 hundred...cheap in the long run as you can see the return of one diamond ring will more than pay for it..sorry sonny..long way from you...lol good luck on your hunt!!

I have found a 2.5 kart wedding ring off the coast of Cape Cod in about 85 feet of water. What a surprise to me when after about 6 months of it sitting at the local police station waiting for someone to claim it no one did. Talk about new equipment with this find. Also I have found a piece to an old Jet, a Jeep CJ7, a bath tub, and then the good old thing like achors, ropes, gas caps, the normal debri.

WhoDini:
I have found a 2.5 kart wedding ring off the coast of Cape Cod in about 85 feet of water. What a surprise to me when after about 6 months of it sitting at the local police station waiting for someone to claim it no one did. Talk about new equipment with this find. Also I have found a piece to an old Jet, a Jeep CJ7, a bath tub, and then the good old thing like achors, ropes, gas caps, the normal debri.
Wow 2.5 Kart thats amazing that no one claimed it. I have a 1 kart and you better believe if I lost that puppy I would be calling every were trying to find it and pray some kind soul turned it in :51:

Stacy

At Isle de Mujeres -- A wallet stuffed full of cash, travelers checks, birth certificate, credit cards, cruise ship I.D. d.l., etc.

I found the owner right away though. He was an overzealous snorkeler that jumped in without emptying his pockets first. I studied the photo on his drivers licence and found him lounging on the beach. He hadn't missed the wallet yet. I'll never forget the look of surprise on his face when I called him, a perfect stranger, by name.

I still remember the guys name-- Troy Turner of Michigan. And Troy, you never really said "thank you". Maybe I should have kept a twenty for my trouble--- naaah!

BTW -welcome me to the forums. I complete open water training next weekend with my open water dive. After years of enjoyable skin diving, I'm going to be able to go down and stay down for a while. Yippee!

Speaking of Jimmy Hoffa and Michigan, a couple months ago in the news they tore down a barn in Milford, Michigan where they thought he was burried. I grew up in Milford and always heard that rumor about the farm he was burried on and now the Fed's are actually digging it up. Weird! Anyway they didn't find him and either did I on any of my dives but I do find alot of the usual stuff. If you ever want to cash in on some lead the St. Clair river just north of Detroit is LOADED with lead. There is always alot to find on the wrecks of the Great Lakes also. By the way Welcome to down under Digger54!

2 Dive watches, one working and in great shape (whoever lost it was bummed, I'm sure)
A 24" string of pearls
An aluminum ladder that now graces the boat of a friend
Several pounds of lead weights
A bag of cards from a previous years' Poker Run

MilitantMedic:
I found my girlfriend in 80 fsw. Love at first bubble.

Come on, you've got to tell us more than that! This should be a good story.

FatCat:
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

I have seen this thread and read some of the posts along the way, but other than a lot of junk like golf balls, quarters, pennies, tokens, boat ladders, ect.,ect, I really didn't have much to add. We all find similar stuff just because we dive.

The story I am about to tell is true and fun but, as much as I would like to have found this item, I only helped search for it. sob,sob. I will try to tell the shorter version here.

I was doing some work (diving) in the Allegheny River in PA with some other folks that took us a couple weeks to complete.

Just a day or so into the second week a lady stopped by and said she owned a business near by and that a couple years back she had been robbed. She said she had heard rumors that her safe, which naturally was taken by the robbers, had been thrown off the bridge that we happen to be working under. She wanted to know if we could keep an eye out for it.

Well we were getting close to finishing our work and had nearly covered the entire, underwater, span of the bridge.

Well we all had a good laugh about it and figured that we weren't going to find any safe. There were several bouys in the area that were all held in place by small square concrete anchors about 2 1/2' square. We all saw several of these and naturally we explored them to see if maybe they were a safe as many of them were no longer attached to bouys.

On the next to last day we were there one of my co-workers found and checked out one and decided it was just another concrete block. The next day another co-worker found the same block but discovered that this block was made of metal. You guessed it it was the safe.

The door and thus the dial was lying face down against the substrate and so was not immediately recognized during the first inspection.

It had obviously been hammered on, pried on, and generally beat to death but it was still closed and locked. So naturally it was turned over to the state police and of course the business owner was notified.

I tell you it was pretty exciting finding that safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom