Think I'm over weighted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok how about this, I'll tell you guys my stats and you tell me how much weight .

Male
5'8"
Al80 tank
7mm Henderson Semi Dry (7mm Boots, 5mm Gloves, 7mm Integrated Hood)
Ocean Diver

It would also depend on what your body fat composition and whether you are in salt or freshwater, amongst other things.

CALI68 once bubbled...
Ok how about this, I'll tell you guys my stats and you tell me how much weight .

Male
5'8"
Al80 tank
Ocean Diver

My ballpark guess would be about 24 pounds, depending on a lot. You might want to start around there though.

CALI68 once bubbled...

Male
5'8"
Al80 tank
Ocean Diver

16-18 lbs give or take

Don't forget that it's just as dangerous to be UNDERweighted - especially in a drysuit. You can go on all you want about taking off weight - missed safety stops are NOT good at all.

The amount of loft in your underwear is going to make the biggest difference.

With your height, and with fleecy or thinsulate underwear, I really don't see how you're going to get much below 25 pounds, regardless of your build.

Your instructor is probably your best resource on this.

CALI68 once bubbled...

Male
5'8"
Al80 tank
Ocean Diver

Sounds like one of those games at a state fair. What do we win if we get it right? There are a few peices of information you left out, how long you've been diving and what your body type is (205 lbs of rock or 205 lbs of squishy goo - I'm on the gooy side).

The Suit is a Semi Dry (Semi-Wet) I have been using 36 lbs.

loosebits once bubbled...

Sounds like one of those games at a state fair. What do we win if we get it right? There are a few peices of information you left out, how long you've been diving and what your body type is (205 lbs of rock or 205 lbs of squishy goo - I'm on the gooy side).

That was funny. :)

Somewhere in between. I have been using 36 lbs I have been diving since I was 12 (in the tropics)...I'm 35 now but I only just recently started diving in Monterey with the cold and the thick suit.

I'm almost afraid to reply for fear of ridicule but here goes...

6'4"
208lbs
44 years old
Fit, but still too much chub around the middle
Drysuit (SS DUI CLX 50/50)
Polartec Powerstretch undergarment (custom fitted)
Steel LP 80
Freshwater
BC
Dive Rite light canister
34lbs lead

I have all new gear (I mean everything) and I'm trying to get my weight dialed in. I've been on two dives with this gear. I was underweighted on the first dive with 30lbs so I added 4 more pounds. Yesterday I dove with 34lbs and I still feel underweighted. I can get down but the suit squeeze is not comfortable. If I add enough air to eliminate some squeeze I'm too light and that's at the beginning of the dive with a full tank. Yes, the BC is empty. I add air only to the suit to eliminate squeeze. I don't use the BC at all for bouyancy control. My problem yesterday was that I could only get to 25 feet of depth so the test wasn't very good.

I feel like I need to add at least another 5 pounds to move to salt water. That would be 39lbs total. According to some on this board that is double what I should be using. Again, I can sink with less but the suit isn't comfortable. Also, why does experience come into play? If I'm floating at 25' with a full steel tank (not moving up or down except with inhaling and exhaling) and my suit is squeezing me doesn't that mean I need more lead? Why would it matter if I've got 1,000 dives under my belt?

With my current weighting, I'll be even lighter at the end of the dive and I do NOT want that.

Does anybody here dive with 40lbs of lead (with similar body weight and gear)?

Please don't tell me I should be using 20 pounds because I gaurantee you I will float like a cork with 20lbs.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom