Thinking of diving in Fiji... need advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear all,

am thinking of going to Fiji for 3 weeks in Dec-Jan this year.
I like the variety of dive sites on a LOB however, I also like to enjoy the beach and going out.
Therefore I am thinking about spending one week on a liveaboard and then visiting a couple of islands and doing some day trip diving from there.

I have a few questions and would be grateful for your input....

* Is this a good time to go? (I know the driest time is May-Oct, but I cant make it then.)
* What could I expect water temps to be?
* Are there strong currents, or is it more leisurely diving?
* Which LOBs / routes can you recommend?
* What makes diving in Fiji special / which dive sites are a must see?
* Are there also lively islands with some nightlife, which also have good spots to dive?

Thanks in advance for all your help / advice.

I cannot help with the live aboard diving there. I can let you know about the land based though. I have stayed at Bequa Lagoon and Matava. Liked both for different reasons. Bequa was larger and more upscale. Matava Eco resort was smaller no pool but I enjoyed it. The one thing they have in common is the Fijian people. They are the most friendly people I have encountered! At Bequa Lagoon the Shark dive is a must. If you are lucky as we were you will get to see the Tiger Sharks, way cool? The diving at Matava was outstanding!!! The signature dive there for me was " Manta Reef" It lives up to its name saw multiply Mantas on both dives there. Also saw a sea crate! Check out there website. Matava.com. Any questions you can contact me here I check-in daily. Check out my picks here also.

Thanks 1dwyatt!
Do you think it is a suitable location for traveling alone?

Hi fairybasset. I've been to Fiji several times and just love the place. Theres really nice diving to be had for a novice on up.
I think it depends on your interests. Up to the north there are spectacular shark dives, 20 minutes from little mololo island theres a spectacular drift dive under the surf break. The viz is "only" 15 meters after some bad weather and virtually limitless when its been calm. The coral around the outer islands is fantastic and the sea life is spectacular color wise
Now the negatives.-well really they aren't you just need to be aware. In Fiji everybody works on "fiji time" which some travellers find frustrating.Also if you are used to 5 star type places then you are best to base yourself on Denerau "island" (really its part of the mainland near the airport).
Is it a good place to travel alone. I can without reservation say its a SAFE place to go to alone. There are some islands that are "party" islands for singles which might be more fun Castaway island comes to mind.
If you want luxury I'd stay at the raddison on Denerau.
The people of Fiji are just open honest freindly people always doing what they can to make your stay pleasant.
My wife and I wewre going there in October but she "persuaded" me that Rarotonga would be better this time.

Bula!
To answer your questions:
1) Dec-Jan is the middle of our Summer so hottest, but also wettest. Depending on where you are in Fiji, this can affect you diving a little, but there variation is not that great. You are also in the cyclone season so there is a small chance of bad weather but this year we had no direct hits and only a couple of glancing blows, so again the risks are small.
2) Water temps - have a look at Weblinks
3) Some places like the Somosomo Straight and the Vatu-i-Ra passage are drift dives with potentially strong currents but the dives are planned that way and are not unduly challenging. Most dives sites are fairly current free though.
4) Two live aboards, Naia and Island Dancer. The Naia is far better in my opinion, but they are both excellent boats - not exactly cheap though :). There is a 3rd LOB, Tui Tai that caters for a more general audience but does provide daily dive trips in more out of the way spots.
5) Fiji diving offers some classic reef walls and soft coral dives, e.g Rainbow Reef and Namena Reserve. The latter you will see from the LOB's but for the former, you need to base yourself on Taveuni island or in Savusavu. The Astrolabe reef is also a famous location which is around the East coast for Kadavu.
6) Lively islands with night life don't fit well with great diving with a couple of exceptions. Volivoli resort offers a bargain range of accommodation with world class dives on the Vatu-i-Ra passage, and has a real buzz in the evenings with a young backpacker type crowd mixed in with local ex-pats and a few families. Beach bar style. The other lively islands are generally in the Mamanuca and Yasawa groups which are not renowned for classic dives. Another option is to stay at Pacific Harbour at Uprising from where you can dive Beqa Lagoon and do the Shark dive. There are also lots of other activities here if the weather turns crap.

Last but not least, is your question about travelling alone. I think Fiji is one of the safest places there is to be a single traveler. It isn't perfect and you should take just as much care as anywhere else especially if you visit a larger town - not recommended if you ask me - but on the whole very safe.

I have lived here for 8 years and still like it!

Have a great trip and do ask if you want any more info.

Cheers
Greg

I stayed at both Bequa lagoon and Matava. I liked both places for different reasons. I liked the laid back atmosphere of Matava. I really enjoyed the staff there. Maggie was a gas! The food was very good. As you said the diving was great! If you were looking for a full blown resort with a pool , massuis, and lots of immenties Bequa Lagoon is closer to that. If you are looking for a more realistic Fijian experance Matava is the way to go!

Yes it is as long as you stay away from the big cities. Matava is very safe and relaxing.

Thanks everyone for the great input. Am now busy researching!

Garden Island Resort has fantastic diving and a beautiful, friendly place to stay. My wife and I spent spring break there and it was our best dive trip ever.

Back
Top Bottom