This Equipment is STELLAR!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got to see a few things as Hollis displayed at the Natl. Assoc. for Cave Diving convention last weekend. I really liked the fins. I didn't see the scooter there, but they did have the backplate and wings. Both seemed like nice gear, nothing fancy, nothing innovative. They did have the datamask which I tried, but it's aimed squarely at recreational divers. I could see instructors LOVING it.

The scooter thing is an issue when you compare it to the X, but not so much when you compare it to a Gavin or SS. Depending on where you can get it serviced or get parts, that might be a big advantage over the others.

As for the bottom timer, I hope they have the good sense to include depth averaging. If not, then I don't see any competitive advantage over the tried and true Uwatec.

The regs look remarkably similar to the Dive Rite / Oxycheq / Salvo stuff. This is not a bad thing, I love my Dive Rite regs. Not sure what the pricing will be.

I didn't see the lights so I cannot comment.

As for the bottom timer, I hope they have the good sense to include depth averaging. If not, then I don't see any competitive advantage over the tried and true Uwatec.

What about the fact that it has a user-replaceable battery? It seems to me that all other things being equal, this would be worth something. Thoughts anyone?

What about the fact that it has a user-replaceable battery? It seems to me that all other things being equal, this would be worth something. Thoughts anyone?

I figure the guage would last about 4 years, at 100 dives a year that's 400 dives. I can live with that.

I'd be happier if this new product offered the one thing technical divers have been clamoring for in a depth guage for years. Instead of merely letting us change the battery.

I cant say for sure, but Im pretty positive its going to have it from talks I had with Nick :wink:

There whole thing which I really like alot better than alot of Manuf. too, is that because they have such a HUGE network( Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis) and facilities, that they can make changes or give the community EXACTLY what they want within a shorter time than almost any other company....and its all done in house!! Pelagic(spelling) Is their computer company that his brother heads up, and is in the next building over from where Nick works, very easy to go from designing, to testing, to making..........to.....YOU.......Makes me smile:D When I said Stellar about the Equipment, I was talking about the company and Philosophy as well.....I just cant wait for the equipment to get in everyones hands more so you can all see what Im talking about

I think this is what had some folks so disappointed. A scooter that is heavier and has less burn time than its competition? A bottom timer that lacks a major feature? Who were they listening to?

I'm very happy using my Vyper now, as I really like being able to download my dive profiles and learn from them. But when looking at the depth guages, the big things everyone seemed to want were replaceable batteries, a stop watch that ran independent of the dive time, and average depth. Oh, and for the explorers, something that actually worked beyond 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds. :) Execute that with big numbers and a price below $200 and you'll have a lot of people interested. Do it for $300 with a download feature, and I might switch from the Vyper.

I cant say for sure, but Im pretty positive its going to have it from talks I had with Nick :wink:

There whole thing which I really like alot better than alot of Manuf. too, is that because they have such a HUGE network( Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis) and facilities, that they can make changes or give the community EXACTLY what they want within a shorter time than almost any other company....and its all done in house!! Pelagic(spelling) Is their computer company that his brother heads up, and is in the next building over from where Nick works, very easy to go from designing, to testing, to making..........to.....YOU.......Makes me smile:D

Hopefully Nick is listening, as I dont work for them....but Im sure these are some of the things they are going to incorporate

I think this is what had some folks so disappointed. A scooter that is heavier and has less burn time than its competition? A bottom timer that lacks a major feature? Who were they listening to?

I'm very happy using my Vyper now, as I really like being able to download my dive profiles and learn from them. But when looking at the depth guages, the big things everyone seemed to want were replaceable batteries, a stop watch that ran independent of the dive time, and average depth. Oh, and for the explorers, something that actually worked beyond 23:59:59. :) Execute that with big numbers and a price below $200 and you'll have a lot of people interested. Do it for $300 with a download feature, and I might switch from the Vyper.

Hollis WILL be coming out with a Bottom Timer WITHOUT the Navigation feature.....in about 1-3 months.....Estimated Price........$175

I'm really looking forward to this. I know it won't be before xmas, but what are the chances I would be able to get one wet before Uncle Sam sends me to the sandbox in the spring?

Pretty Please? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom