this is why I dive ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob's a way better photographer than I am, but here are a few of my shots from the day (you already saw Birdonhead Bob):

More clowns:
254738_10150278923519216_710899215_7471839_8270624_n.jpg

Somebody trying to be camouflaged, and not quite pulling it off:
283293_10150278923444216_710899215_7471836_1395568_n.jpg

284156_10150278923669216_710899215_7471846_4020749_n.jpg

262813_10150278923639216_710899215_7471845_4596969_n.jpg

Very nice dive report, you two! And great pics (so far) :D

I had a thought about this statement:

I was NOT a happy camper when we lost the rebreather diver, who is most likely to have issues with overexertion at depth.

I have never done a dive with a rebreather diver as a buddy (and not really sure I ever will), but since you mentioned that the rebreather diver is the one who is most likely to have issues with overexertion at depth, it seems that it might be a good idea to treat that diver as the "weak" diver and have them sandwiched between two stronger divers. If you were to go back and do this dive all over, would you put her in the #2 position instead of the #3 position?

That would be my approach most likely, but like I said, I haven't done any mixed team dives. I don't know enough about diving with a rebreather diver to be comfortable with it (at the moment)....so I'm just genuinely curious.

Thnx for the report

You have to love the pics and the reports are far to graphic making me dive sick!
Having a dry weekend but you just made it way better!
Thanks you two.
I am very glad your dives went well.
Safe photo dives to the trio!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Very nice dive report, you two! And great pics (so far) :D

I had a thought about this statement:

I have never done a dive with a rebreather diver as a buddy (and not really sure I ever will), but since you mentioned that the rebreather diver is the one who is most likely to have issues with overexertion at depth, it seems that it might be a good idea to treat that diver as the "weak" diver and have them sandwiched between two stronger divers. If you were to go back and do this dive all over, would you put her in the #2 position instead of the #3 position?

That would be my approach most likely, but like I said, I haven't done any mixed team dives. I don't know enough about diving with a rebreather diver to be comfortable with it (at the moment)....so I'm just genuinely curious.

No ... I see no reason to treat the RB diver as the "weak" diver ... in fact, she's the only one who was carrying her own bailout.

Basically, a sensor failed at a bad time. She realized it, got off the trigger, onto her bailout, and decided to make a direct ascent rather than follow us upslope through the kelp. Altogether we were separated for less than a minute on what was already an ascent.

And frankly, in that kind of current ... particularly when naviguessing your way through bull kelp ... you're focusing on keeping from getting yourself entangled. Trying to maintain a formation at that point is likely gonna create more problems than it solves ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On the way out, we were roughly side-by-side, but once we got on the wall, we scattered a bit (not too far away) as all of us were carrying cameras. When Bob thumbed it, I was above him a little and closer to the exit; Sandra was at about his depth, and furthest away. We fell into the order we were in; the current at that point was making my arms cramp, trying to hold onto a rock, and all I could hope was that the scooter would make headway against it, or I would be crawling home. I knew Bob was behind me, because I could see his light and sometimes a bit of him if I turned my head; I assumed Sandra was behind him, and she was for a short time, and then encountered an issue which made her stop. There was really no going back for someone in that violent downcurrent -- I stopped as soon as we were out of the downwelling, to regroup the team, and that's when I realized she was missing. We shone our lights around and listened, and saw and heard nothing, so we surfaced where we were, and she was on the surface about 40 feet away. It was a team failure in very trying conditions; the real answer was not to get in the water too early, and when we did, not to persevere until we got into the downcurrent. However, we suspected we were early, which meant the current should fall off as we persisted, which is why we stayed. I had not run into a downwelling there before. I learned something about the site.

Great reports and pictures. Almost makes me want to visit and dive that cold water. I think I'll keep in the warm stuff. The bird on your heads, now that is just too funny.

Great reports and pictures. Almost makes me want to visit and dive that cold water. I think I'll keep in the warm stuff. The bird on your heads, now that is just too funny.
Well, one advantage of cold water ... if a bird should land on your head, at least you're wearing a hood ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great story and pics guys!!! Thanks!

Bob and Lynn! I hate you! :wink:

(Not really but I am so jealous!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom