this is why I dive ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a team failure in very trying conditions ...

No ... it wasn't a team failure ... it was a sensor failure. This was one of those (rare) situations where "team" just doesn't do anything for you. Neither one of us could've done squat except probably get ourselves into trouble trying to be helpful. Sandra ducked down behind a rock to address the problem. I couldn't stop ... I'd just have gotten blown back down the wall. She wedged in where she could do what she needed to do. She signaled for me to go, which I did. After a few seconds, I could hear her scooter ... so I figured she was right behind me. As it turned out, she'd bailed off her loop and did what she was trained to do ... make a direct ascent.

The only "failure" was to a piece of equipment that sometimes fails ... that's why RB divers carry bailout.

Look ... we had a great day and a great series of dives. Let's not start second-guessing the quirks of Mother Nature, or beating ourselves up over some perceived "failure" to be perfect ... if I wanted that I'd spend the rest of my life practicing back kicks and valve drills in Cove 2. Personally, I think we handled the situation pretty well ... you should be feeling pretty good about what you DID do, not bad about what you didn't ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I'm not beating myself up about it. If you strike out to do some more adventurous dives, sometimes, as Andrew said, the ocean is going to hand your butt to you, and it did Saturday morning :)

To me, team separation is a failure; so many of the protocols and procedures I depend on in turn depend on people staying together. We got separated, and that wasn't good . . . but trying to regroup in that downcurrent would have been a worse choice, and each of us was substantially capable of self-rescue. I didn't post this in "Near Misses" because it's kind of an unsurprising consequence of miscalculating slack, which was the lesson from this dive.

To me, team separation is a failure; so many of the protocols and procedures I depend on in turn depend on people staying together.

I might be way off here but would such disparate equipment be ok for team in the first place? (OC vs CCR) (Just curious because to me it looks like this wouldn't even be considered a team with "substantially similar equipment".

If you're going to go with strict DIR criteria, no, you wouldn't dive a mixed team. To me, for a recreational dive with no planned depth below 70 feet, we can be enough of a team with a CCR diver. I understand the rig she was using and what her emergency procedures were, and what role I could play in them. That's enough. I wouldn't do a technical dive with a CCR person, because deco is too different.

If you're going to go with strict DIR criteria, no, you wouldn't dive a mixed team. To me, for a recreational dive with no planned depth below 70 feet, we can be enough of a team with a CCR diver. I understand the rig she was using and what her emergency procedures were, and what role I could play in them. That's enough. I wouldn't do a technical dive with a CCR person, because deco is too different.

So your team was "designed" to deal with issue differently from the start and performed as such thus it wasn't really a failure the way I see it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I see it as a complete failure of a wanna-be DIR team dive, otherwise it sounds like you all had a great time and lived to see another day so it's a perfect success by my standard, and yet another example of how adherence to DIR in real life outside some quirky examples is rather impossible and self-defeating.

I see it as a complete failure of a wanna-be DIR team dive, otherwise it sounds like you all had a great time and lived to see another day so it's a perfect success by my standard, and yet another example of how adherence to DIR in real life outside some quirky examples is rather impossible and self-defeating.
Let's not go down that rathole, please ... if y'all want to get into yet another argument over the merits of DIR, please do it in someone else's thread.

This wasn't intended to be a DIR team ... just three friends going out for a fun dive. Mixed teams are not uncommon here ... it's a Seattle thing ... we mostly try to get along and have fun together ...

threeamigos.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ugh... this wasn't my intention at the get go.

TSandM is usually hard on herself. My point was that this was mixed team designed to perform differently when issue arose and it performed just fine and wasn't really a team failure. That is all I wanted to say.

Back
Top Bottom