Thistlegorm on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didnt get to go to thistlegorm on my last trip,, i put my name on the list but there was noone else wanting to go by the time the day came along, on a trip to ras moe i was chatting with the videoographer for our dives and she was saying that a boat from sharm (i think) crashed up onto a reef on the way there or something,so now the boats that go have to have a license or something, she was saying that the smaller boats have no gps or sonar or something like that and its these guys the government is trying to discourage from going, she also said it will be back to normal very soon though like most things in sharm,, have any of u heard this story? the boat was supposed to have crashed in early may ??

i will defo dive the thistlegorm the next time im in sharm, ill do it on air too, it seems to me that he was just trying to get me to do the course afterall too,, he was probably bored stiff sitting on the jetty in the first hotel i stayed at with a subex dive centre so its no wonder he recommended it to me hahah fair enough

cool video thanks its one of the best on you tube that ive seen

ok, I'm a bit puzzled, Do divers penetrate the Thistlegorm without getting wreck certified? All this talk about being nitrox certified and no one is questioning wreck diving skills? If you're just scouting around the outside sure, but if you are going inside... being nitrox certified is the least of your worries.

Hundreds of people go inside the wreck every day. Its not a big issue.

besides, penetrating a wreck with an experienced guide is part of the PADI AOWD permitting you to do, no need for the specific wreck certification unless you are exploring the wreck on your own.... at least that is what I understood.

Nope, the instructor manual is very clear

PADI instructor manual:
Wreck penetration is not allowed on this dive. The Wreck Dive is a
guided tour of a wreck that allows student divers to practice basic wreck diving
techniques.

The bold is their emphasis.

hmmm, very interesting.. thanks string... so in a case one doesn't have a wreck diver certification, penetration is not allowed.... I am no instructor but I thought as I chose a wreck dive for one of the 5 dives in the AOWD course it should be ok to do guided penetration... but seems not... thank God we have some easy wrecks in the red sea :))))

If you do the wreck speciality limited penetration is allowed on the final dive at the instructors discretion.

I can't speak for PADI but regarding VDST CMAS Wreck Diver Specialty, after completing the course the candidate is supposed to:

• master the special problems and dangers of wreck dives
• compile the correct equipment for wreck dives
• use orientation guides at and inside wrecks
• behave correctly during and after the dive with regard to interacting with the dive buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom