Thoughts?! Newbie Dives in Upper / Middle Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just going to add my 2 centavos on the Benwood- dived it last April, and had a blast. Check out YOU tube- just search "Benwood" for lots of hits.

quick question- the Benwood would be done from the Upper Keys (KL), right? If it were up to you, would you dive one day in the upper keys and one in the middle keys, both in upper keys, or what?

Again, thanks!

If you are really interested in the Middle Keys, then try Sombrero Light, accessible from Marathon, or Looe Key, accessible from Big Pine Key (and possibly from Marathon). Both are in the Marine Park; both are beautiful and, for the most part, very shallow (<30 ft). Big Pine Key is actually considered part of the Lower Keys, but is the northernmost island, with Looe Key right about on the border between middle and lower.

BENWOOD is an excellent "EASY" wreck dive. It is in 30 to 45 fsw. No point going out further than the bow, as it just gets deep (90 fsw) and there is nothing to see. Stay on the wreck and make a couple of laps around it. Then go back to the bow and look thru the holes in top deck and see all kinds of eels & fish hiding in the crevices. Seldom any current and viz is usually good too.

I can suggest SILENT WORLD dive shop for this trip. Their office is at 103.3 MM bayside and the dock is at 106MM ocean side. It is a quick boat ride from their dock.

Have fun.

Mike

Thanks all. It sounds like there is better diving in the KL area and we should save Middle Keys (Looe Key) for another time?

quick question- the Benwood would be done from the Upper Keys (KL), right? If it were up to you, would you dive one day in the upper keys and one in the middle keys, both in upper keys, or what?

Again, thanks!

I've dove both areas and both very good diving. There's definitely enough diving to stay busy for a few days in either location. Not a big deal to run down to middle keys from key largo. I tend to stay in one area if it's just a two or three day thing, less time spent travelling. With Key Largo you also have Tavernier if you want to go down the road just a few miles.

I concur...Upper Keys is a great place with almost anything you want to see....The Benwood is still ranked as one of my most favorite dives, and Molasses reef is pretty nice as well! Looking forward to hitting that again (and the Speigel Grove) on my next trip down. If you're taking pictures the Benwood makes for some nice shots!

Middle Keys doesn't have the shallower wrecks, but has some nice reefs! I was at Samantha's, the Doughnut, and the Stake, and saw a lot of life!

Below Marathon, Looe Key is about the best you'll do until they sink the Vandenburg!

Key Largo has a lot of variety and there are many more dive ops serving the sites off KL. Personally, I wouldn't describe it as "better" than Looe or Sombrero. That said, I 'd pretty much agree with what others have written about the diving off KL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom