Thoughts on Bahamas Shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend Socorro Island, Cocos Island or, if you really want the ultimate, the Galapegos. Hundreds of hammerheads and Galapegos sharks swarming around you, no feeding needed.

If you're not set on the Bahamas try Turks/Caicos. We saw reef sharks on every single dive at French Cay over 2 days. There's both liveaboard or day trips - it's about a 45min. run from Provo so two dives/lunch etc. and you're back by about 2PM. We saw quite a few sharks at West Caicos also - just not every dive. They don't feed them but we did see sharks feeding on fish attracted by the ship's lights one night. Equally if not more expensive than the Bahamas to stay there.

Another option is several of the non-feed dives with Stuart Cove's on Nassau. Sharks are frequently seen at other sites nearby but that seems to be a behavior partially driven by waiting for the feed. There's an interactive map on the Cove's site where they list the likelihood/types seen. Not surprisingly many of the sites are near the Shark Arena sites.

I've seen that in Cay Sal once on Nekton - we dropped anchor next to a feed site and had 15-20 sharks show up. Many of them were at the feed 2 days later also - they were so close on some dives that we could identify their markings later in the video.

Bahama Divers on Nassau does the Lost Blue Hole dive - that's non-feed. Sharks are seen often enough there that they highlight it on their trip info. http://bahamasdivers.com/diving

If you decide to do a feed, besides the Cove's feed, consider UNEXSO's (Grand Bahama) Cristina Zenato often does it and she's known in shark conservation circles. It's this one: 333 Nina Salerosa - YouTube

If you decide to do a feed, besides the Cove's feed, consider UNEXSO's (Grand Bahama) Cristina Zenato often does it and she's known in shark conservation circles. It's this one: 333 Nina Salerosa - YouTube

My favorite out of all of them ! I would suggest you do at least one "shark dive" in your career, then decide if it's something you want to do again. These animals are AMAZING up close. When you dive at UNEXSO with Cristina, you are diving with an amazing woman, who is great to be around, and you will get an education about these fantastic creatures. Not to mention, she's a Womens Hall of Fame Diver, who also teaches darn near everything under the sun. UNEXSO is a great dive op, as well.

Big3.jpg

"actually humans are higher up the food chain.

Yea tell that to the shark!

I was in the Bahamas last spring and did the shark feeding dive on Blackbeard's liveaboard and at Stuart Cove. In general I'm not a big fan of feeding any species (except my lovely dates... if I ever have any), but I was glad to have an opportunity to get some good footage of the Caribbean reef sharks. Of course for really wild shark diving experiences, try Tahiti or Cocos or...

Not all shark dives are alike. Reef sharks or Bulls & Tigers ?

May or may not make a difference to you, but there is a difference in size, aggressiveness and potential danger.

I saw not long ago a girl that free dives with great whites and is totally at peace and at one with them. Saw it on tv and I think it was in Australia.
i think most sensible folks will agree its only a matter of time. Smiley face. Like the comedian says " ya can't fix stupid".
if you really "love sharks" why not watch them on the tv during shark week and save your insurance company and yourself the heartburn of telling you "we don't cover that". Smiley face.

i think most sensible folks will agree its only a matter of time. Smiley face. Like the comedian says " ya can't fix stupid".
if you really "love sharks" why not watch them on the tv during shark week and save your insurance company and yourself the heartburn of telling you "we don't cover that". Smiley face.

Everything is a "matter of time", sensible or not. And "stupid" ? Really ?? Go ahead and tell that to Cristina Zenato, Jim Abernethy, and the countless others that dive with sharks DAILY, and promote & educate as to the conservation issues with these animals. Shark Week is part of the problem, not the solution. One is more likely to get "injured" scuba diving, than scuba diving with sharks. People are "injured" from feeding squirrels, all of the time, but where's the outrage over that ? They're wild animals, too. Just sayin'. If you click here, you will see 11 animals more likely to kill you than a shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom