Thoughts on Dive Training Article?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not every place or dive op can get a ladder like that...

Why is that the case? Just curious about why a dive operator would not be able to use this type of ladder.

Most of the boats here in Asia have 'homemade' wooden ladders that are very difficult to ascend whilst wearing fins.

What I teach is to:

Mask and regulator remain in place until on the boat.
Keep fins on until it is your turn on the ladder.
Approach ladder and obtain positive grip on the ladder.
Remove fins and place straps over wrists (or clip them on - I use a double ender).
Climb ladder.

If a diver had foot fins, I would concur that they would hand the fins up the ladder before climbing it. They should ensure that they maintain positive contact with the ladder at all times, once their fins are removed (whether clipped or handed up).

It's also great for surf entries, removing your fins while waiting for the ladder to be free if the boat has a line, tying down random trash found at the bottom (try to put a Frisbee in a pocket), handling pumpkins, etc...

With most full foot fins, you need some creative drilling on the fins themselves.

A bit OT, but Ptyx, that was a fun video :D

Why is that the case? Just curious about why a dive operator would not be able to use this type of ladder.

... because not everyone lives in a place where such things are available ... and not every boat would accomodate them even if they were.

I dived off a boat in Indonesia that required you to board by grabbing ahold of the transom, and bracing your foot against the skeg on the motor while scrambling aboard. And lots of smaller boats don't even have a ladder ... in which case you remove your weights and rig, and your fins stay on your feet until after you've pulled yourself over the side of the boat.

As with most things scuba, you adapt your technique to the situation.

Thing is that if you're wearing full-foot fins, chances are you're not wearing much for gear anyway ... they're not exactly designed to be worn with heavy cold-water exposure suits, lots of weight, or large/double cylinders ... so if you hand them up the worst that can happen if you fall back in the water is that you take off your rig and tow it behind you while you swim back to the boat. No big whoop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I prefer taking off my fins and and tossing them onto the boat. Sometimes there is someone there to take them from you.

If I am on a boat that is a stickler for rules and demands every diver do every little thing their way then I will do precisely as they expect.

Sticking your arm through the fin straps is just not a big deal.

Short filling my tank 30 to 60% IS a big deal.

In OW I was taught to keep fins on my own wrists until I am in the boat. We were told that if one falls into the water again without fins on it is very hard to swim. I tried it once in the pool. It is very hard!

Happy New Year!:D

Every dive boat will have a briefing on proper reentry back onto the boat.

Fins off, fins on, dealing with the ladder, it's different for each type of boat. Listen to and follow the boat brifing and you should do just fine.

I have seen plenty of people tuck full foot fins under the BC cumberbund.

Tom

I must admit to teaching to keep your fins at almost all costs. Slip your hands in your fin straps and your hands are essentially free.

:gans:​

In thousands of dives, I can not remember falling off of the boat even once. I can remember one OW student do that, but she was in a panic and a mess. I towed her to the boat, twice.

Exit strategy. You should have this figured out before you splash. Listen to the boat captain and prepare to do things their way. I do have one exception: I won't try to board a boat with my fins on. I've tried and it's painful. My ankles just can't handle that.

So recently, I have been handing up my mask and my fins and THEN climbing up the ladder. It's safer that way: much safer! No tripping and I have a full field of vision to negotiate fish, lobster, fins, spear guns, sausages, divers and what not. If the boat tells me to keep my fins on, I pop them off anyway and slip them over my wrists. No use discussing my aches and pains: they probably don't care! If they freak out then that will be my last trip with them. :D

If there is a DM/guide present, it makes professional sense that they should be the last diver out of the water. This means that all of the divers have supervision and cover during their exits.

If the current is strong, then the dive boat should put out a trail line.

Proper procedures from the dive operator tend to eliminate the potential issues mentioned in this thread.

Hmm. In the Farisan Islands in Saudi Arabia the procedure was hand up your weight belt, slip out of your BCD and clip it to a line from the boat then swim to the Stern, take off your fins and slip them over your wrist (no full foot fins). Then climb up between the outboards !!!! It was easy once you got used to it. I suggested a boarding ladder once and was met with baffled looks by the boat crew.

Back
Top Bottom