Thougts about masks fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are masks that are supposedly fog free, with a protective coating built in. I use toothpaste or softscrub on my masks. I've had customers say the tooth paste didn't work, then offered to softscrub it.. last one said she'd softscrub it since I was busy, saw her add the softscrub and then rub it... like lotion on a baby, didn't do squat. I had to redo it. You've got to put a fair amount of pressure. Don't scrub a mask that has antifog pre-coated lenses though.

I have met divers that scrubbed the outside side of the lens and complain it didn't work. Something that some people don't realize is that suntan lotions, oils and even skin oils can recoat the inside of the lens and make it prone to fogging to where it needs to be re-scrubbed for traditional defogs to work.

We have a SP mask that no amount of SeaBuff seems to be able to stop fogging (none of the other 1/2 dozen do, just this one, however it's also the one the wife feels fits best). I must have buffed it 10 times and it still bloody fogs. Next step might be a rag on the end of a dremmel!
A couple of drops baby shampoo works wonders though.

It's a manufacturing thing. You leave lots of free -OH groups on the glass and it sheets water beautifully, but doesn't bond to the silicone skirt worth squat. Or you can silanize (or whatever) the glass and it bonds beautifully but repels water like grease. (AKA fogs.)

PM me with a shipping address, I'll send you something (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sn...kel-mask-fogging-steaming-up.html#post5470191) that actually works. still trying to get the dumbass manufacturers to clean this stupidly simple problem up once and for all...

-Lemme guess, SP's low volume frameless? Me too.

Something that has not yet been mentioned is the factor of nose breathing. I have found that most divers and snorkelers with persistent fogging problems are exhaling through their nose a lot. It is important to exhale through your nose now and then when changing depths to equalize your mask pressure, but that is a different thing than persistent nose breathing. I suspect the OP can eliminate the fogging up with a little more discipline in breathing. As for multi-pane masks, the idea is kind of the opposite of where technology is going. I like the smallest air space mask I can find, and adding a double pane will just add air space.
DivemasterDennis

Try smearing a thin, wet layer of toothpaste on the mask and let it dry overnight. When you go diving, rinse off just enough of the film that you can see through it. I've tried other tricks and a few commercial liquids. This seems to last the longest and work the best for me.

Reactions: Doc
Something that has not yet been mentioned is the factor of nose breathing. I have found that most divers and snorkelers with persistent fogging problems are exhaling through their nose a lot. It is important to exhale through your nose now and then when changing depths to equalize your mask pressure, but that is a different thing than persistent nose breathing. I suspect the OP can eliminate the fogging up with a little more discipline in breathing. As for multi-pane masks, the idea is kind of the opposite of where technology is going. I like the smallest air space mask I can find, and adding a double pane will just add air space.
DivemasterDennis

I am sure that is part of it when I am snorkling. I tend to go to the bottom, 15' or so and swim along as long as I can before I surface, Then i am gasping air for a bit before my next decent. Now that I bought the scuba grear things will be different.

Again, I will clean the mask good before I use it next time and see how well it works. The thread was more about why is this not a innovation yet. For my tropical waters I could see it as truely novel assuming the cleaning works out. But for cold water diving it seems like it would be a no brainer.

My gear is south and I am north right now so it will be a month before I even see it.

Highflier

If you used a double layer glass, it would have to be strong and mounted well due to the pressure changes. It would want to squeeze together on the way down. If there is any leaks and it equalized in between, it could blow out on a fast free dive ascent from 70-80 feet or so.
Interesting concept.

Lowvis beat me to the punch on this. Kind of. The pressure outside the outer layer and inside the inner layer would be just like any other single pane mask. The backside of the outer layer pressure would be the one that might crunch the mask. maybe....

When I was OC I just spit into the mask, rubbed it around, washed it out and dove. On OC all exhaust was thru my mouth. When I went to a rebreather I was taught to remove excess air from the loop by exhaling thru my nose. The logic is that it's easier for water to get into the loop if you exhale from thru your mouth than thru your nose.

Needless to say that with the RB the spit solution no longer worked, especially as dives have gotten longer. I found that using Sea Gold, rubbing it in and washing it out right before a dive, gives me a clear mask as long as the dive lasts. Cave dives are normally 4 to 6+ hours with lots of exhaust going thru my nose. It works for me.

Yea, The pressure could be a problem. If there was a pinhole that would allow the pressure to equalize, but then moisture could get between and that would be a big issue. I guess a seal diaphram could be used to help the presure.... But not sure if you could get enough enough equalization unless it was the whole glass panel that moved. Almost like a soft o-ring holding the panes apart, allowing them to be pressed closer togeather.

Now that may work but something about it does not sound KISS and therefore likely to be problematic.

Highflier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom