Thougts about masks fogging up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't a bottle of Sea Gold like $5?

And Seavision is $5 which IMHO is way better than Sea Gold. Sea Gold is good and better than Sea Drops. Some people like PSI 500, others don't think it's that great. Seavision (my original bottle said Seavision USA) is the most amazing defog I've ever tried. It simply never fogs. And it can be used on a wet mask and over multiple dives. The original bottle says something like "A clean mask doesn't fog. Seavision cleans while it clears". Leaves no gunk that causes fogging later.

You can see Seavision here: Sea Vision 2 OZ. Spray De-Fog Bottle

Seabuff before the trip. Sea gold before you head for the boat. Allow it to dry and then rinse just before dive. I have never had a problem when I did this.

...my biggest problems is the mask fogging up...Has any manufaturer ever considered or tried to double or tripple pane lense, thus insulating the cold water from the warm inner layer of the mask?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made.
Richard Feynman
, Letter to Armando Garcia J, December 11, 1985

Highflier...I know that your new equipment design thread progressed from a suggested new approach at looking at fogging in the mask back to the many existing remedies...but good job for at least thinking for an alternative.:lightbulb::lookaround:

Without individuals like you there would be no diving...for man-kind intrinsically was meant to be a surface-breathing dweller (hence no gills :goldfish:).

~Michael~

I just replaced my backup mask and I found it fogging up all the time in the cold water. Used the tub of mask scrub with no results. Went back to using an old toothbrush and toothpaste (non gel stuff). Brushed it well and was good to go. Sometimes that film is tough to get off and the brush helps a lot. As for mask juice, anything works for me except spit.

No problems with the thread morph, As we can see with this thread it is a pain in the but, everybody at one time or another had a foggy dive.

So here is what I learned so far.

1) Clean my mask, I will start with cheap toothpaste.

2) Manufacturers should pre-clean and then use that as a selling point. Car dealers don't sell you a car and tell you to fill the air in the tires before you use it.

3) There is room for a better/no fog mask. Maybe my idea is not a good one, but some company could/should address it as many ppl would pay a premium for a fog free mask.

4) many ppl think spit in mask is iky, some refuse to all togeather, We don't always have access to a defogger agent on the boat. Thus a fog free mask does have a market. Even if it is just 1 less thing for us to prep before getting wet.

Highflier

Baby shampoo works well for defogging masks and does not sting the eyes like other things and costs less than dive mask defogger. I've used dish liquid but it stings too much so now just use a dab of the baby shampoo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom