Threesome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo:
As others have said, diving with three STINKS. If you must, then make sure your kids understand the dive plan, emergency plans, and stick to them. Also, making sure that the threesome makes eye contact FREQUENTLY with ALL members of the group helps. Make it clear that each of you is equally responsible for the other two divers and that this will take a little extra work underwater than it usually does with two divers. One more tip, diving in a single file line with three divers makes it hard to see everyone. I suggest trying to dive like the blue angels, side by side by side, when possible.

The position of divers in relation to each other is always important. Diving single file, reagarless of the number of divers works better when lights are used to communicate, though that can be difficult in brightly lit waters or when divers don't have a suitable light. Though there are exceptions, ascents and descents with three are probably best done in a star formation (all three divers facing eachother) but that also works well with two divers.

As long as you pick a leader, have all three divers at the same depth and basically side by side (exceptions for light communications prevbiously noted), there is no good reason for diving in a three man team to "STINK".
And don't let them get in front of you together with you behind them watching them because it makes you feel better. That will only lessen their safety by promoting a "dad is in control" feeling that doesn't really exist underwater. Basically you all need to feel equally responsible and in control.

It's a bit hard for a dad to feel like there is an equal sharing of responsibility when diving with a 13 year old. No? Is it even possible for a young child to have a level of responsibility equal to that of their parent? I think the father is the supervisor by default in this case and that fact as well as his ability to provide that supervision and guidence in the water is best considered right from the start.

I have been diving with groups of two and three, I never realized it to be a problem. Designate one diver as a leader and the other two divers are obligated to stay with him/her. that way no one goes off on thier own. This is the first time that I have ever heard that threesomes are bad. In the previous mentioned scenerio, considering the young divers, you may want to consider a fourth.

Good point El Orans.

In my case it does stink, as I usually dive with my wife and then we get a third diver we don't know really well and that throws things off EVERYTIME unless that third wheel understands how to dive as a team and not like a third wheel.

The key word is TEAM. I agree it will be hard for newer divers to be a team at first, but the advantage is that they will all dive together frequently so becoming a team will be easier in the long run.

MikeFerrara:
Diving single file, reagarless of the number of divers works better when lights are used to communicate, though that can be difficult in brightly lit waters or when divers don't have a suitable light.

That's why I didn't suggest it in this case.

MikeFerrara:
As long as you pick a leader, have all three divers at the same depth and basically side by side (exceptions for light communications prevbiously noted), there is no good reason for diving in a three man team to "STINK".

I think we agree other than the STINK part. That is basically what I suggested. I clarified why it usually stinks for me personally above. Please insert the word "Can" before the word "Stink" in my original post, lol.:wink:

MikeFerrara:
It's a bit hard for a dad to feel like there is an equal sharing of responsibility when diving with a 13 year old. No? Is it even possible for a young child to have a level of responsibility equal to that of their parent? I think the father is the supervisor by default in this case and that fact as well as his ability to provide that supervision and guidence in the water is best considered right from the start.

Perhaps. That is for each individual to decide. It is my feeling however that if they aren't mature enough to be equally responsible then they aren't a buddy, they are a student, and Dad in this case isn't an instructor. If Dad is more in control than his two diving children, then they CAN'T dive with some fourth person they barely know unless the kids dive as buddies and they aren't ready to do that if Dad has to watch them and be in control. Another option is for each adult to pair with a child but then that is just baby sitting again assuming the kids need Dad to watch them. SO, the last option is to rent a DM or instructor to watch the kids. So why did they get certified in this first place if they need to be watched? Basically, a diver is ready to be equally responsible to dive or they aren't. That's how I see it. If I come along and join him and the kids, I am diving SOLO IMHO. He's too worried about his kids and his kids are too worried about themselves and I'm too worried about all three of them. Where does that leave me?

I am not saying Dad shouldn't be Dad and supervise, but he should try to instill a sense of control and responsiblity in his kids IMHO. If kids feel Dad is in control and everything is going to be fine and they don't have to worry about it, then they are diving with a false sense of security.

I would LOVE to dive with my kids when they are old enough. Old enouh to me, isn't a number. Again, this is for each individual to decide.

es601:
What is the consensus? I will be in Bonaire at the Sand dollar with my 15yr old daughter and 13 yr old son in 9 days and plan on doing a lot of shallow shore diving at the house (Bari) reef. Should I try to find a buddy there to round out the group to 4 or do what I would prefer and dive as a threesome. It is my daughters first dive trip since certification in April and my son and I have about 30 logged dives. All are comfortable underwater and good w/skills. Also if there are times they don't want to dive I would love to do some very conservative solo dives just for the solitude. Am I crazy? :huh:
Ed

I dive with my son and daughter as a 3 person team all the time. Started when my daughter was 10 and son 15. Other times the team will be my wife and daughter and I, as son is off at college now. Have a coherent plan with contingencies and do what you feel comfortable with

scubadobadoo:
That's why I didn't suggest it in this case.

Perhaps. That is for each individual to decide. It is my feeling however that if they aren't mature enough to be equally responsible then they aren't a buddy, they are a student, and Dad in this case isn't an instructor. If Dad is more in control than his two diving children, then they CAN'T dive with some fourth person they barely know unless the kids dive as buddies and they aren't ready to do that if Dad has to watch them and be in control. Another option is for each adult to pair with a child but then that is just baby sitting again assuming the kids need Dad to watch them. SO, the last option is to rent a DM or instructor to watch the kids. So why did they get certified in this first place if they need to be watched?

My question exactly
Basically, a diver is ready to be equally responsible to dive or they aren't. That's how I see it. If I come along and join him and the kids, I am diving SOLO IMHO. He's too worried about his kids and his kids are too worried about themselves. Where does that leave me?

I agree except that I'm not going to dive with abuddy if I feel that I'm, in effect, solo.

As you say, it is up to each individual but as an individual instructor, I stopped certifying young children especially if I didn't feel the parent was a pretty accomplished diver. They can do what they want but so can I.

I watched a mom and dad get into some pretty serious trouble and leave Jr. on his own to fend for himself. I'm glad that it wasn't me who sold them on the idea of getting into that mess in the first place.

I had a guy comming into the shop for a while who went with us on some shallow Great Lakes wreck dives. He had lots of experience and was buddied with my wife. At the horrifying depth of about 35 ft he abandoned her...really fast like...because he noticed that he was down to about 750 psi is an AL 80. Later he came into the shop wanting me to certify his 11 year old daughter. I declined and tried to explain why. Well, of course he went and got her certified someplace else. I later ran into him and he went on and on about how well she did and how I missed out by refusing to teach the class. I finally had to explain in a much clearer way that I never thought that the child would have a problem. The problem was that she was going to be diving with him and I thought he was just plain dangerous in the water and that my DM, cave diving, trimix divin wife isn't even willing to get back in the water with him.

There are risks associated with diving. Adults can be held responsible for their own evaluation of those risks. they can choose a buddy. Kids, while eager don't really have the same choices and will be unlikely to identify a parent as a dangerous dive buddy even if they are exactly that.
I am not saying Dad shouldn't be Dad and supervise, but he should try to instill a sense of control and responsiblity in his kids IMHO.

I would LOVE to dive with my kids when they are old enough. Old enouh to me, isn't a number. Again, this is for each individual to decide.

Diving with your kids is great. I certified both my kids. My daughter never really liked it but my son is an avid diver. We've had hundreds and hundreds of absolutely fantastic dives together and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. My son was 14 or so when I certified him but I wasn't a new diver too. In fact when I say that I certified him, I mean that I certified him. I was his instructor.

Everyone can make up their own mind and that's as it should be. My own opinion after having dived with lots of new divers including kids is that a parent who is a new diver going diving with their child who is a new diver is off-the-scale insanity.

MikeFerrara:
I had a guy comming into the shop for a while who went with us on some shallow Great Lakes wreck dives. He had lots of experience and was buddied with my wife. At the horrifying depth of about 35 ft he abandoned her...really fast like...because he noticed that he was down to about 750 psi is an AL 80. Later he came into the shop wanting me to certify his 11 year old daughter. I declined and tried to explain why. Well, of course he went and got her certified someplace else. I later ran into him and he went on and on about how well she did and how I missed out by refusing to teach the class. I finally had to explain in a much clearer way that I never thought that the child would have a problem. The problem was that she was going to be diving with him and I thought he was just plain dangerous in the water and that my DM, cave diving, trimix divin wife isn't even willing to get back in the water with him.

Diving with your kids is great. I certified both my kids. My daughter never really liked it but my son is an avid diver. We've had hundreds and hundreds of absolutely fantastic dives together and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. My son was 14 or so when I certified him but I wasn't a new diver too. In fact when I say that I certified him, I mean that I certified him. I was his instructor.

Everyone can make up their own mind and that's as it should be. My own opinion after having dived with lots of new divers including kids is that a parent who is a new diver going diving with their child who is a new diver is off-the-scale insanity.

Excellent post Mike. I'm going to copy this and e-mail it to a guy I know that wants to cert his kids, and he himself has about 15-20 dives I would imagine. He's asked my opinion and of course it's the same as yours more or less. I personlly will not certifiy a kid for any reason other than my own, and that has such severe restrictions attatched to it that she has basically said to me time and time again, Dad, why don't you just give me the card..........lol. As mature as she is for her age, kids just are not capable of making real adult decisions, are anyone thinking differently on this as far as I'm concerned doesn't get it either.

I hear this all the time from adults that don't make the grade in my book. Needless to say she doesn't have her card yet and we actually started a year ago......

All great points Mike!

As for diving with the kids, I am sure that is a feeling of pure joy when it is done safely. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside just knowing that you got to share the experience with yours, lol. I hope that I can follow my own advice and yours when the times comes. The allure of sharing this sport with one's kids is strong and I can see how this decision can easily be rushed.

I had a 3sum last friday. We just had 2 team up and the third stay on the right side and if anything happened to the 3rd he just gets the person on his/her left. I like diving with 3 ppl!!

Thanks everyone for all your replies. All good advice and I agree with the fact that children of my kids ages are not qualified to make these kinds of decisions. They both have displayed a high level of maturity while diving (something they are challenged with on land however) but have never been in a situation that could test their ability to control the "panic urge". I just mentioned to my son that we will either dive with a instant or rent a buddy or he and his sister will take turns and his reply was " I think that is stupid" . So there you go point proven!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom