Thursday Jan 20 Weigh-In

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, I think sometimes it takes a while for the furnace to start burning more efficiently and the weight loss to finally kick in. Remember, as you build muscle (and swimming will build arm muscles) you won't lose as much weight, but you will be losing fat.

Great work and great job on sticking with it!

Chris

When you drop your caloric intake at the same time you start exercising, your body actually *lowers* your base metabolic rate to conserve energy and body mass.

It's only after you've been exercising for a while and keeping the diet steady that your body starts to raise your metabolic rate up. So it's not unusual for it to take a month or so for your body to get going in losing mass.

Greetings folks,

I've been AWOL for a while from posting stats...., but been keeping steady on progress.... I finally got Photoshop reinstalled on my laptop and put together a mosaic showing starting and some pics I took last week.

1/19, 385 -> 210.8 -> 180 (84.9%, 174.2lbs, Week 52)

-Tim

netmage:
Greetings folks,

I've been AWOL for a while from posting stats...., but been keeping steady on progress.... I finally got Photoshop reinstalled on my laptop and put together a mosaic showing starting and some pics I took last week.

1/19, 385 -> 210.8 -> 180 (84.9%, 174.2lbs, Week 52)

-Tim

Way to go Tim!

So, any secrets to share? Which type of diet did you use or are you using? Are you using a gym or using arobic exercise at home? Inquiring minds want to Know! Keep up the good work. Roger

RogerL.:
So, any secrets to share? Which type of diet did you use or are you using? Are you using a gym or using arobic exercise at home? Inquiring minds want to Know! Keep up the good work. Roger

Thanks,

Well - its been about a year since I started, and there are a few basic tennants I'll try to summerize. I've been following Atkins w/ a few minor modifications (mostly around some of the portion control i.e. cups of lettuce, cheese) & tracking everything using a program called Fitday. I stayed on induction (20g carbs) for 49 weeks, and just recently moved into OWL three weeks ago, now at 30g. I'm not going to sit here an evangalize Atkins, but the meal plan works for me. There is no magic bullet - ultimately everything comes down to calories and your BMR.

In the beginning I didn't workout at all. During the bulk of the season - I'd go diving three times a week. Around August it started getting cold and I had a minor CF after a deco dive and had to stay out of the water for 3 months - then I started hitting the gym. In general, I workout twice a day for 45 minutes of cardio on a cross-trainer on the fat-burn setting using a Heart-Rate Monitor. I live in a hi-rise apartment building in downtown chicago, its too convienent to just pop down to the gym for a workout - it's on the second floor & included in the cost of my outrageous rent whether I use it or not.

1. Don't skip breakfast.
2. Get a good digital scale - everyone seems to love Tanita's.
3. Understand your Basal Metabolic Rate
4. Learn to love salad.
5. Get a Heart Rate Monitor and incorporate exercise into life.
6. Eliminate sugar from your diet & Increase Fiber.
7. Plan around your endulgences. (i.e. I set aside 8g of carbs per day so I can have a double scoop of ice-cream...)
8. Atkins is NOT about having unlimited amounts of bacon, eggs, steak and pork rinds.
9. Track, measure, analyze everything. Find the things you like w/ the numbers you like... high fiber, low fat, high protein, taste great.
10. Understand that 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat. Balance the equation, simple high school algebra.
11. "Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'" -- Jedi Master Yoda

Netmage!
Great pictures. Wonderful results. Congrats! I like your list too. You're an inspiration to us all on this cloudy Monday!

I too am following the Atkins approach, some what. I've been limiting myself to 10 carbs a day for the past two months, I've lost 30 lbs, I started at 255. I still have a ways to go though, I'd like to get to somewhere between 175 and 200, that's my goal for now. One thing that I have going for me is that I'm as stubborn as a mule, so for now the diet thing is not bothering me to bad. I need to step up the exercise though, I guess that the next hurdle. Keep up the good work! Roger

Good job Roger, but this group are Thursday weighers, we'll be doing it tomorrow

And congrats netmage - impressive work!

Reminder to those that go on Atkins (not a diet doc here) that if you are exercising vigorously you do need to keep the carb intake up. Otherwise, you have no fuel to burn

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom