Tiger Shark attack off Makaha, Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeRDar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, someone recently had been asking if we ever see Tigers here in Hawaii. The answer is yes...

Woman survives shark attack off Makaha with 'chunk' out of arm | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Sounds like this woman did a great job staying cool and taking care of herself. Everyone keep your eyes peeled off Waianae for the next few days.

What's everyone's take on encountering a tiger during a dive? While I'm generally pretty keen to see sharks when I can, I've heard some pretty level-headed divers recommend calling a dive if a tiger or bull is sighted, just to be safe since they are a little more aggressive than most. Thoughts?

There's videos on youtube where tigers take random bites at things (including divers). They don't have to be hungry to kill you, just curious or playful.

That's scary. I dive that sight occasionally. I know that if there is a tiger shark anywhere near me or my destination, I clear the water. I just don't take those kinds of chances.

I see lots of shark including galapogos and scalloped HH here. I look at them, they look at me and I think cool. I don't take any special precautions other than keeping an eye on them if they remain in the general area. If I saw a Tiger or White I would fill my wetsuit, start slowly getting to the bottom, and think "cooooool". If I was diving from a boat dive I would do my best (dive time left/air left permitting) to remain on the bottom until the shark had left the area and then safely remove myself from the water. For a shore dive I would do the same except I would start moving towards shore once I reached the bottom. If I was mid-water doing deco or in the middle of ascending to deco then I would just do my best to keep eyes on the shark and continue doing what I was doing.

Sharks and Rays of Hawaii says “Danger rating: High. Hawaii, where Tiger Sharks are common, averages 1-2 attacks per year – a relatively low number for this dangerous shark.” The best book I have BTW for as in; more about sharks and rays than brief paragraphs about a couple of commonly seen species.
Randall in Reef and Shore Fishes of the Hawaiian Islands says rarely seen inshore in day but often caught in shallow water at night.
Hoover in Hawaii Fishes says “The Great White Shark….is a rare visitor….But the vicious Tiger Shark, not uncommon in Hawai’i, has a reputation almost as bad.” But being in deep water in the day, don’t usually threaten humans and eat almost anything. Considering the number of people in the water each day, Hawai’i remains a generally safe location.

The Big Island has Tigers. I’ve a dive buddy here that was flipping out if I was still out snorkeling after 4:30 pm – it was Tiger Shark time. And he goes diving around 10:30 am – after Tiger Shark time.
I’m told Honokohau Harbor is a good night dive with a good chance of seeing a Tiger. Apparently one would be well fed there, and leave the still living prey alone.

I haven’t seen one diving.
I’d like to.
I think.

Scary, but once again confirms my strong belief that I am safer diving than snorkeling.

Thanks for posting!

Part of my pre-dive planning with dives I lead with friends includes making sure everyone understnds the proper procedures for shark encounters. Briefly, Since I'm usually the one with the car keys in my wetsuit pockets, that makes me the most important person in the water. If we encounter a shark I make sure my fellow divers make a large circle around me :) Sort of like a bison herd protecting the young.

Matt

funny how she (the doctor that was bitten) claimed it was only 4~6 feet long, by the time the story got in the paper it was an 18ft tiger,,,, come on,,,,, if bitten by an 18ft tigershark do you think you'd slowly walk out of the water and ask someone "can you please help me" and have only a 4 inch bite/abrasion,,, if you believe this story I can make you a GREAT DEAL on a slightly used King Kamehameha statue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom