Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meaning, I assume, that killing for clothes is a bad Idea.

close; but wrong.

my point was the same people that complain about a few dead sharks are probably running around with leather shoes, jackets and wallets and use animal by-products on an everyday basis.

thanks for the anthropology lesson though... that bit about our ancestors clothing themselves with dead animals was fascinating. :icorolley

LavaSurfer:
Is there is difference between killing animals that live on land or in the water?

The comment was made "ill do you one better: fashion." Meaning, I assume, that killing for clothes is a bad Idea. Although the practice of clothing ourselves in dead animals dates back before we could write or communicate.

Hmmm, I have a lot of leather shoes, boots, Jackets and Turtle guitar picks and just last week I ate a great turtle steak with a nice Cajun turtle soup in Grand Cayman.

Where do we draw the line?

I say we draw it when the killing is in excess and endangers the species but then thats a relitive and very grey line. The turtles I ate were farmed and actually contribute to the overall population of an otherwise endangered species.

This is one of those topics like abortion, Religion and politics. Yuck!

ReefGuy:
I wouldn't exactly call him a jack anything. This happened in Pt. Charlotte (across Charlotte harbor from me). He had been swimming there for years, and the alligator was new to the area (the locals reported seeing it only in the last week). I don't recall seeing any signs there, either.

If you want to call someone names, call all the snowbirds that FEED the alligators and make them unafraid of humans. This animal was not wacked or rabid. It learned to associate humans with being fed.

Now, the last shark bite (in Boca Grande Pass, the 19 year old Austrian) WAS the guys fault, and he was lucky at that. When I first heard about this, I thought it was up the island from the pass, but he was almost in it. It's not a good idea to swim a couple of hundred yards from a tarpon fishing tournament that the winner is usually the one that actually lands a whole tarpon (the rest get eaten by the LARGE bulls and hammerheads). Not to mention the ripping currents along that area. My cousin is fishing in that tournament, and reported seeing very large hammerheads feeding there at the time. Also, the water that day was so murky, he didn't even see what bit him. Like I say, he was lucky. I've dove that pass, but you couldn't get me in there for anything during the summer.
There is no secret that Swimming in Florida lakes,canals,ponds whatever,Alligators MAY be there. Just like if you are diving in the oceans,there MAY be sharks,If you are going on a Safari there MAY be lions. You are taking Your life in your own hands when doing this. That shouldnt give us the right to slaughter the animal that attacks us. Its their nature thats why they are called Predators! If you build Homes in an area thats also home to predatory creatures,stay away from them. Regardless if This alligator was "new to the area" Im sure this guy knew they existed in that area. So in a sense he was a Jack*****. and of course they caught and killed the gator

warpig:
close; but wrong.

my point was the same people that complain about a few dead sharks are probably running around with leather shoes, jackets and wallets and use animal by-products on an everyday basis.

thanks for the anthropology lesson though... that bit about our ancestors clothing themselves with dead animals was fascinating. :icorolley

LOL, just doing my duty :wink:
I guess we are on the same page.
I certainly am not saying its right but my experience tells me that your statement is accurate.

LavaSurfer:
LOL, just doing my duty :wink:
I guess we are on the same page.
I certainly am not saying its right but my experience tells me that your statement is accurate.

;-) the big misconception here is that the sharks are being killed for sport.

fishing derby's are catch and release, unless of course the fish is edible. the only reason they are being killed is for scientific research by marine biologists.

I'm with Morpheus...It's ridiculous that if a predator kills they go and hunt it down and kill it....oh, ya that teaches them a lesson. another off topic example. a dog bites someone, they will put down that dog. Now it's not the dog's fault it's the stupid owner that should be responsible for it, the dog was not made to be that way, the owner made it that way. I have to rotties and they are the sweetest dog's ever..but, yet people are afraid of them cause of the media and other irresponsible idiots. I just don't understand myself specially from a person that dives...seeing all these animals in the ocean then going out to kill them etc. it's just wrong and it bother's me probably more with sharks cause i love them..they are an incredible animal and a very misunderstood creature. people got to remember that we are invading their territory when we go into the ocean's.

warpig:
;-) the big misconception here is that the sharks are being killed for sport.

fishing derby's are catch and release, unless of course the fish is edible. the only reason they are being killed is for scientific research by marine biologists.

Reading from the winners page they have categories for the most releases. They only collect certain species of a certain size. I wonder why the organizers of this event didn't require a dead shark for every category?

Joe

I did this tournament for a few years with some friends. There's one prize for the most catch and releases. I believe there is an overall prize for the biggest shark and there may be a category prize for each species. In theory, you only want to bring back the monsters. Minimum is 200lbs, below that they deduct the weight from your score if you bring a shorty back.

All edible sharks go immediately to the MV food bank. And that is the biggest shark I've ever seen caught in that tourney. :icoeek:

Yes, you can bet where there's fresh water in Florida, there's alligators, but I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. Is anyone bitten by a shark while swimming a jack****? How about if you're bitten by a snake while on a nature walk? How about someone killed by a drunk driver? It seems like you're equating victims with stupidity.

What would you do with an alligator that has lost all fear of humans and attacked someone? Leave it alone, until it took someone's kid that was playing in their backyard? Believe it or not, this does happen.

Morpheus:
There is no secret that Swimming in Florida lakes,canals,ponds whatever,Alligators MAY be there. Just like if you are diving in the oceans,there MAY be sharks,If you are going on a Safari there MAY be lions. You are taking Your life in your own hands when doing this. That shouldnt give us the right to slaughter the animal that attacks us. Its their nature thats why they are called Predators! If you build Homes in an area thats also home to predatory creatures,stay away from them. Regardless if This alligator was "new to the area" Im sure this guy knew they existed in that area. So in a sense he was a Jack*****. and of course they caught and killed the gator

I'm not against catching sharks, as long as they're used (and believe me, I'm the first to batterup a mako), but I'm not sure how I feel about tournaments. I spear, but don't participate in spearing contests either.

ReefGuy:
Yes, you can bet where there's fresh water in Florida, there's alligators, but I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. Is anyone bitten by a shark while swimming a jack****? How about if you're bitten by a snake while on a nature walk? How about someone killed by a drunk driver? It seems like you're equating victims with stupidity.

What would you do with an alligator that has lost all fear of humans and attacked someone? Leave it alone, until it took someone's kid that was playing in their backyard? Believe it or not, this does happen.

My point is this, the original post was about the sharks being caught in the "contest" were being killed and that was stupid,to which I replied that at least the sharks are being used for a good cause....science. I stated that senseless killing of animals is what is really stupid, and I used the scenarios I have been listing. All I ws saying that if You are in a particular predators natural habitat,be aware of what may be lurking around the next corner. If you are in the woods on a "Nature walk" and you get bit by a snake,than you get what you deserve. You are not being careful,but Killing the snake is what you are supposed to do because you need to identify the antivenom you need. Killing Gators and sharks because people get attacked is senseless,these people are building homes around the gators natural habitat. they should not be surprised when they get attacked. and this certainly doesnt warrant the slaughter of all the alligators in the surrounding areas. You and I both know there is no parallel between getting attacked by an animal and getting killed by a drunk driver, that was a dumb comparison. You detemine what your surroundings are....if you live in the tornado belt, and your home is destroyed by a tornado...tough,dont live in Florida and be oblivious to Gators and Hurricanes for that matter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom