Tight feeling around the lungs and neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oOoribicaoOo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a very new diver and a few times I have experienced a squeeze feeling around my lungs at the end of the dive. I am not sure what it is, whether my BCD was overinflated, or I got too tired or anxious to get out. I have also noticed that I don't like the way ocean looks when I am snorkeling on my way out. It feels like I can't breathe and it is easier if I am on my back. These are instructors thoughts on this: my BCD was not the proper size (too small), I have overinflated it so I couldn't breathe, I got tired or I got a suite squeeze. I exercise regularly and am in good physical shape so this was a bit of the surprise. It doesn't feel right not to be able to breathe on my way out. Is this common? Any ideas on what this could be caused by and how to prevent this? Many thanks.

Sounds like you may not be exhaling deeply enough and are exchanging too little air. When teaching new divers the "tricks" of the trade, one thing that I like to focus on is a simple breathing technique that may eliminate your issue(s).

1. Take in a nice slow, deep breath.
2. Exhale slowly. As you exhale, count slowly - 1-1000,2-1000,3-1000,4-1000, etc.
3. Rinse
4. Lather
5. Repeat

The key is to extend the amount of time you exhale by blowing out slowly. This will do several things. The benefits are:

1. Less air consumption
2. Less weight needed (because you are emptying your lungs fully)
3. More relaxed
4. Feel better after your dive

I hope this helps. Happy diving! :D

+1

New divers rarely breath correctly. Correctly means: just like you would under the same stress levels if you weren't under water.

One of the best ways to achieve this is to become aware of your breathing. Once you can focus on it, you can fix it.

Spend some time sitting in a very peaceful, quite place with your eyes closed paying attention to how you breath. Really get a feel for what relaxed, normal, deep breaths feel like for you. Now, when you dive, take some time now and again to close your eyes, relax, and pay attention to your breathing. Focus on relaxed, normal, deep breaths and try to get it to feel just like it did when you weren't under water.

It won't come right away, but after some experience, breathing with a regulator in your mouth will be as comfortable and natural as breathing sitting in your favorite chair.

One of the issues with snorkels is that they increase the dead space, or the volume of gas you're exchanging with each breath that ISN'T contributing to removing carbon dioxide from your blood. You have to breathe more (move more total air per minute) when using a snorkel than you do normally, and that can result in a feeling of shortness of breath, especially if you are trying to exercise hard (swim hard) while you are using one. Snorkeling is best done at a leisurely pace while sight-seeing -- I'm with you, I'd much rather do surface swims on my back.

Jacket BCs, by their nature, wrap around the diver, so if you inflate them a lot to float high in the water, they WILL give you a feeling of being squeezed. Some people like them, because they make floating very easy and stable; other people really don't like the feeling of constriction. You might want to see if you can try a different make of BC, like a back-inflate, and see if that removes the unpleasant feeling.

Could it be your wetsuit ? My wife had similar problems, but in her case it was due to her tight wet suit. She has found that if she gets her suit wet before putting it on she can adjust it so it is not so constraining.

Having asthma, I have a quick emergency fix (can be used anywhere) for this problem. Breathe as deeply as you can while simultaneously pushing your stomach muscles as far out as you possible can. Believe it or not, this instantly relaxes the chest muscles and will reduce the tight feeling you have. Short of an inhaler, this is used by many asthmatics to reduce chest constriction and panic related symptoms almost instantly. Repeat the procedure until you feel better. Hope this helps!

It should not be necessary to inflate a BCD to the point that it feels at all tight in order to achieve the buoyancy that you need. You should be able to swim comfortably; if not, something is wrong.

I generally find it easier to cover distance on the surface on my back. I will only use a snorkel when I have to search for my starting point before descent.

Sounds like you may not be exhaling deeply enough and are exchanging too little air. When teaching new divers the "tricks" of the trade, one thing that I like to focus on is a simple breathing technique that may eliminate your issue(s).

1. Take in a nice slow, deep breath.
2. Exhale slowly. As you exhale, count slowly - 1-1000,2-1000,3-1000,4-1000, etc.

Excellent advice.

I like to explain it this way:
When inhaling, slowly count to 4
When exhaling, slowly count to 5

As for that squeezing feeling, here are a few thing to look at.
A wetsuit that does not fit well, too tight.
Ill fitting or overinflating your BCD
Mask and or hood too tight.

You are on the right track, listen to your instructor, dive more and this too shall pass.:wink:
Have fun!

OK, I understood that tight suit is a must so I don't get cold, but am not sure how tight is too tight, my suit felt like it's pulling me down and it hurt on the shoulders. I'm 5.9, so it was not long enough for me, I feel.

OK, I understood that tight suit is a must so I don't get cold, but am not sure how tight is too tight, my suit felt like it's pulling me down and it hurt on the shoulders. I'm 5.9, so it was not long enough for me, I feel.

Your wetsuit should not have any gaps and should fit sung but not tight. It should not restrict your breathing in any way. If you can not raise your arms over your head comfortably, (football, touchdown sign) it is too tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom