Tightening Tank Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting...

The website for the Apollo Bio Tank Loc indicates a NSN has been assigned for this product. For those who don't know, the NATO Stock Number is required for many military purchases. Which indicates military use.

All else being equal, that suggests to me that there is some value to the product.

Coors Lite has a NSN as well... Just sayin'.

that just means they have good taste in beer as well.

So I've been practicing getting it tighter, and I'm completely successful (for a few dives now) with a method the local dive shop employee taught me (an instructor).

She pulled the band through the buckle once tightly while shifting the band up and down for max tightness. She pulled the clamp halfway (to lock the band) and then threaded the band through the other two holes in the buckle. Then she closed the clamp and velcro-ed the band.

Complete tightness. I've been using it and now I don't worry about it anymore. Seems simple enough.

All you really need is a little bit of rubber between the tank strap and the tank ... something to provide a bit of compression friction. A lot of cam bands come with little rubber pads for this purpose. Otherwise, even something as simple as a piece of bicycle inner tubing is sufficient.

There are endless toys you can purchase that will make using your dive gear more convenient. It's your money ... spend it as you see fit. But with a bit of effort, you can usually achieve the same effect much more inexpensively ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The DSS tension pads work well.

scub__noob, good! it's all about technique. there's always several ways of doing things. Looks like you found one that works for you. (that's the key) Do it the same way everytime and pretty much you should have the same results everytime. (you would hope :)) enjoy...........

So I've been practicing getting it tighter, and I'm completely successful (for a few dives now) with a method the local dive shop employee taught me (an instructor).

She pulled the band through the buckle once tightly while shifting the band up and down for max tightness. She pulled the clamp halfway (to lock the band) and then threaded the band through the other two holes in the buckle. Then she closed the clamp and velcro-ed the band.

Complete tightness. I've been using it and now I don't worry about it anymore. Seems simple enough.

That sounds like the way I was originally taught. I have never had a tank slip and always felt 100% confident in how secure it was. I have however helped several other divers with slipping tanks and ended up teaching them this same method (they were taught by the same instructor as I was, but just didn't pay attention).

Dive Express has tank pads @2$ a piece, DSS tank pads are 10$. I still may just go the tube route, along with with my Apollo strap, just cuz it doesnt hurt any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom