Tightening Tank Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting...

The website for the Apollo Bio Tank Loc indicates a NSN has been assigned for this product. For those who don't know, the NATO Stock Number is required for many military purchases. Which indicates military use.

All else being equal, that suggests to me that there is some value to the product.

When I used to dive a BC I often had issue with tank slipping. I bought an Apollo Bio Tank lock (version 2) and never had that problem again. I now dive a BP/W using two S/S cam bands and also never have that problem. A friend of mine diving a BC had similar issues but did not want to spend the $$$ on the Apollo so I got him a DiveRite S/S cam band and he is a happy camper. I find the S/S easier to cinch up tight and unlike some of the plastic ones they are not prone to breaking at the buckle.

Use a BC that incorporates two cam bands into it's design.

If not then I agree that the Scubapro tank strap will do the trick with no slippage.

An item having an NSN wouldn't be a selling point for me. I've used plenty of items that have NSN's that were inferior to the products offered by the competition.
An NSN just means that the item met the minimum standard.............hey that sounds familiar.

I'd check out Akimbo's post on how to properly thread a cam band.
I'd not suggest spending $100 for a cam band. They may be good, but they're probably not that good.

-Mitch

got a single strap and have never had a issue with tank slipping out. (and never once have I got the strap wet before hand, even when new) Scuba_Noob, just look at your strap and make sure it's threaded properly, or have someone show you. And have them show you how to properly tighten the strap down before spending money on something that shouldn't be an issue. Mostly it's an issue about getting to know your equipment. once you get it figured out, you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

depending of the straps...
very hard on my Tusa. I had to put the jacket/tank flat with my knee on to be able to stretch correctly.
no problem with the Diverite straps of my wing.

I've got the ScubaPro style on my BPW, and it's really nice for setting up steel tanks on a rocky beach. Not so nice on boats, and sometimes the clip slips shut and I have to use a screwdriver to pry it open again. Not sure if I'd recommend it to others, but I do a lot of beach setup, so it works well enough to not replace them.

I slipped a few bits of bike tire tubing over my cambands on my 1-band BC, which worked like a charm. More than 1" long will be difficult to thread, so I'd recommend several small ones over one longer one.

Something FREE to try is to soak the strap for a minute, get it on a tank and cam it down tight. Let it dry (maybe leave it on overnight). This will help stretch out the strap and form it a bit so that it won't loosen up so much next time you use it.

To clarify, I was worried about threading it wrong, so after the dive, I double checked with a divemaster at the local dive shop. But turns out the threading was fine (and I had been shown before); it just seemed to be an issue with the tightness.

Maybe it is an issue with getting to know my equipment. However, all your tips should help a lot.

Good suggestions above. I would just reiterate having a good buddy to help out before and while you are down. Do what you can do then communicate with your buddy to monitor it while you are diving. Then buy him /her a beer. Repeat as neccessary.

got a single strap and have never had a issue with tank slipping out. (and never once have I got the strap wet before hand, even when new) Scuba_Noob, just look at your strap and make sure it's threaded properly, or have someone show you. And have them show you how to properly tighten the strap down before spending money on something that shouldn't be an issue. Mostly it's an issue about getting to know your equipment. once you get it figured out, you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

+1 Once you get this down your tank will not slip. Make sure you're pulling on the strap in the right direction; work with the cam not against it. Also, DSS used to sell an inexpensive rubber pad to pre-load the strap, not sure if they still do.

Back
Top Bottom