Tightening Tank Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip> Also, DSS used to sell an inexpensive rubber pad to pre-load the strap, not sure if they still do.

They do and they work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a BC that incorporates two cam bands into it's design.

If not then I agree that the Scubapro tank strap will do the trick with no slippage.

An item having an NSN wouldn't be a selling point for me. I've used plenty of items that have NSN's that were inferior to the products offered by the competition.
An NSN just means that the item met the minimum standard.............hey that sounds familiar.

I'd check out Akimbo's post on how to properly thread a cam band.
I'd not suggest spending $100 for a cam band. They may be good, but they're probably not that good.

-Mitch

LOL. Not meant as an endorsement, just found it interesting that it has enjoyed some sort of military take-up.

I noticed on the Bio Tank Lock link someone mentioning that if you tighten it enough so it won't slip the 2 sides will be closer than the recommended 1/4 inch and may break. But that never should happen. You must re-adjust the band each dive outing. Particularly if you own tanks that are not the same diameter. But you don't have to start tightening when the 2 sides are anywhere near 1/4" apart. They can be 1 1/2" or more apart-- in fact they can be as far apart as the bolt will allow. Works just the same.

Can't say enough good things about the Scuba Pro Cam buckles.
But if you want to add to the grip, try adding Aqua Seal to
about 3-5 inches of the inside of the band.It'll grip like crazy then.
Hope this helps.

The DM at my OW checkout dives made it super tight, and I havent moved it since!

Those Apollo Bio Tank straps are about $60 on Amazon...

I just ordered one from scubatoys @60 as well.

All you really need is a little bit of rubber between the tank strap and the tank ... something to provide a bit of compression friction. A lot of cam bands come with little rubber pads for this purpose. Otherwise, even something as simple as a piece of bicycle inner tubing is sufficient.

There are endless toys you can purchase that will make using your dive gear more convenient. It's your money ... spend it as you see fit. But with a bit of effort, you can usually achieve the same effect much more inexpensively ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just like the aspect of being able to tighten without having to wrench on a strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom