Time to cancel Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got off the phone with Christi about an hour ago...I posted the update on the "Updates from Christi thread"....

Go, and bring clothes and supplies that you can donate to the people and do what you can to help them.

I was scheduled to go to Coz over Thanksgiving, but I'm 100% sure we will change our plans. We were staying at Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angel and according to the update in "Updates from Christi" both the hotel and dive op got hit hard (2 boats underwater, hotel pool pretty much gone). Caribe Blu can keep my deposit... looks like they are gonna need it.

I'm glad everyone down there (Christi, among others) made it through the storm OK. Now I just have to figure out where we will go... a small problem compared to what others are going through in Coz, I know. :(

dyarab:
Caribe Blu can keep my deposit... looks like they are gonna need it.

God bless you for that...I hope more people will do that - at least those who can afford to do so. So many hotels and small dive ops will be desperately hurt by the loss of business as Cozumel struggles to rebuild and tourism dollars are lost. Wilma came at absolutely the worst time - I know that Christi had booked a second boat to run from now through December at least and the loss of business is going to be catastrophic to her. If anyone *can* afford to donate their deposits, it would an act of great generosity and kindness at this very horrible time.

dyarab:
I was scheduled to go to Coz over Thanksgiving, but I'm 100% sure we will change our plans. We were staying at Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angel and according to the update in "Updates from Christi" both the hotel and dive op got hit hard (2 boats underwater, hotel pool pretty much gone). Caribe Blu can keep my deposit... looks like they are gonna need it.

I'm glad everyone down there (Christi, among others) made it through the storm OK. Now I just have to figure out where we will go... a small problem compared to what others are going through in Coz, I know. :(

I think the situation might be resloved by Nov 23 or so, don't you?, so don't give up on it yet. I'm sure Carib Blu and the other hotels, which are owned by large corporations, plus Blue Angel, have insurance. Don't sell the Mexican Gov short. I'm sure they will take care of thier own, as we have with all the many hurricanes we are having here in the US.

Just received permission to post the latest info on the situation in Coz and what hepled me to make up my mind.

"My latest update on Coz; this morning at 1PM+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(152.163.100.---) Understandably, we all want to be optimistic about Coz, not canceling trips, etc., and individuals need to decide for themselves how they wish to handle trips to Coz in the near future.

What I can do is share the realities as I understand them. We all know how difficult it is to get accurate info on what's happening right after such a disaster, and I may be off on some or even all of the following, but this what I'm seeing and hearing at the moment:

1. Germane to all of the below, I believe that CUN and PDC have more of the Federal and State government's attention than does COZ. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they got priority in disaster relief.

2. The airport has been damaged and I'd estimate a week to 10 days before commercial flights will resume, maybe more if they don't feel the island is ready for tourists. Remember, as I mentioned in an earlier update Coz still has somewhere in the neighborhood of an estimated 900-1,000 tourists trapped by Wilma who still have to return home.

3. You probably haven't heard anything about the Caleta yet, but I've had a few preliminary reports and looks real bad. Unlikely that any boat was not damaged and many are u/w.

4. As I mentioned in an earlier update, the ferry docks have sustained damage and I suspect that resupplying the island is going to be a serious problem. Folks are already venturing out in search of what little foodstuffs remain. Perishables of course have no refrigeration and much of any food that remained in stores and restaurants that wasn't canned or waterproof bagged has either been ruined by water or spoilage.

5. In most areas, power is likely to be out for a week to 10 days, maybe more. As I mentioned in an earlier update, very hot and humid weather is predicated to follow Wilma in without the comfort of A/C.

6. Following heavy flooding and a deep, thorough soaking things are going to grow. Things like mold and mosquitos. It could be a tough time for those with allergies and respiratory conditions sensitive to mold. At the least the mosquito situation is going to make life uncomfortable and at worst there will be a spike in cases of Dengue and I do expect it.

7. It's a rare hotel or resort that didn't sustain significant amounts of water inside due to long and relentless rain moving horizontally.

8. MX insurance claims related to Wilma are going to be astronomical. MX-based insurance companies have just recently been tapped by Emily and I have concerns about their ability to met their exposure, although this is speculation on my part. If correct, it's going to very considerably slow rebuilding.

I could make a couple more points, but this should get you stared in deciding what is best for you.

Stay tuned."

Doc Vikingo

and additionally

"Personally, my estimates of the return of services & goods may not be conservative enough.

I wouldn't plan a visit to Coz for at least a month even if they are purportedly open for business by then. And even then don't expect it to be Coz as usual. It's going to take a long time to put Coz back together.

DocVikingo

pilot fish:
I think the situation might be resloved by Nov 23 or so, don't you?, so don't give up on it yet. I'm sure Carib Blu and the other hotels, which are owned by large corporations, plus Blue Angel, have insurance. Don't sell the Mexican Gov short. I'm sure they will take care of thier own, as we have with all the many hurricanes we are having here in the US.

Unfortunately, for Cozumel and Cancun, I dont feel that the sitaution will be resolved by then.

I realize all of those businesses have insurance... insurance companies work on their own timetable, and with their own agenda. I have heard many horror stories about insurance companies from people in Florida... my in-laws for one.

I know little about the Mexican government, so I wont comment on them. But if they are anything like our government... god help them. (Not a bash on Bush, just government in general, talk about people with their own agenda)

I have no fears that Coz will be back better than ever, as I am very aware of the Mexican work ethic. I just dont think it will be back in a month. :(

Pilot:

Thanks for the update. Geez, the situation does not sound very good at all.

Im going in the 2nd week of jan to Playa del carmen by then it should be back to normal, but if its not im still going. im not going to let a storm trash my vacation .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom