Time to cancel Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...we're supposed to leave this Friday (10/28), stay at the Hotel Cozumel, and dive with Christi. I can't imagine that we will make this trip. I'm sure the last thing the island needs right now is an influx of tourists while basic necessities are still in question.

i just listened to NPR on my way to work. they interviewed a BBC reporter in Cancun who stated many hotel managers had been fairly confident before wilma hit because the modern hotels had been made to withstand cat 5 hurricanes. however, to their dismay it looks like many of these hotels will need 3-6 months before they can re-open. not good...

dyarab:
Unfortunately, for Cozumel and Cancun, I dont feel that the sitaution will be resolved by then.

I realize all of those businesses have insurance... insurance companies work on their own timetable, and with their own agenda. I have heard many horror stories about insurance companies from people in Florida... my in-laws for one.

I know little about the Mexican government, so I wont comment on them. But if they are anything like our government... god help them. (Not a bash on Bush, just government in general, talk about people with their own agenda)

I have no fears that Coz will be back better than ever, as I am very aware of the Mexican work ethic. I just dont think it will be back in a month. :(

I think, from what I hear, it will be longer than a month because the storm lingered so long over the island -60 straight hours. I think the mold spores will have a damn field day, my allergy, and there will be some form flood water contamination in the short run. That's a guess. We all don't need to go down there "just now" and join the suffering, whcih would do no one any good, least of all you.

Anyone heard if Palace Hotel was damaged?

SeaHunt:
Hmmm...we're supposed to leave this Friday (10/28), stay at the Hotel Cozumel, and dive with Christi. I can't imagine that we will make this trip. I'm sure the last thing the island needs right now is an influx of tourists while basic necessities are still in question.

That's EXACTLY the point. We would get in the way of recovery.

pilot fish:
I wish I would hear back from this person that PM'd me with some very pertinent info on Coz so I can post it on this board. It will help us decide, did me anyway. I'd like to get his persmission to post it first.

You can paraphrase someon'e PM without nicking netiquette, unless for some reason you think that there is confidential info in it.

SpeedoLouie:
Pilot:

Thanks for the update. Geez, the situation does not sound very good at all.

You are welcome. I will pass on what I hear, when I can. Hope everyone else will do the same. Thank God the people are ok. Stuff can get rebuilt, but that will take a few months, it seems.

ggunn:
You can paraphrase someon'e PM without nicking netiquette, unless for some reason you think that there is confidential info in it.

I felt better after I got permission . I wanted to post HIS views because it is a reliable, informed source. He knows that area well and I value his opinion. He has much experience with diving, travel and storms.

I just got my certification this weekend, and was due to go to Cozumel Nov 12-19. I have been to Cozumel several times and love the island and the people. If this was not my first diving trip, I would probably go no matter what. But my dive instructor really thinks I shouldn't do my first dives there because she doesn't think the diving will be much good by then, especially considering reports of sand still on the reefs from Emily.

I'm sad about it, because I'd love to spend my money there, where it is really needed, but this is my first dive experience and I want to to be as rewarding as it can be.

dyarab:
I was scheduled to go to Coz over Thanksgiving, but I'm 100% sure we will change our plans. We were staying at Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angel and according to the update in "Updates from Christi" both the hotel and dive op got hit hard (2 boats underwater, hotel pool pretty much gone). Caribe Blu can keep my deposit... looks like they are gonna need it.

I'm glad everyone down there (Christi, among others) made it through the storm OK. Now I just have to figure out where we will go... a small problem compared to what others are going through in Coz, I know. :(

DONT cancell yet Cozumel can really get things cleaned up fast. we went in August after the last storm and everything was really cleaned up. i was so surprised that they got things done that fast but they did. And I know they can do it again. If your hotel is not going to be open then get another Hotel. There are plenty of them that had little damage and will be fixed by Thanksgiving. We are going Nov 17 and will be there through Thanksgiving. We are staying in a Villa and I spoke with the owner and they had some damage but nothing that cant be repared. Kathy in Texas

Wait and see what the owners say Last time they were begging people not to cancell because they were in desperate need of the tourist money so please do not be to hasty and cancell right now. Just wait and see what they say in a week or so. Kathy

Back
Top Bottom