Time to cancel Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say if you are going for just the diving, it would be a good idea to cash in the travel insurance. I was just there a few weeks ago, and yes, the reefs was still covered in sand from Emily, and it was still suspended in the water from being blown off the reefs. One dive we had vis down to about 3-5 feet. I cant imagine there being anything enjoyable about diving there now. But the diving is secondary to the people that live and work there. Like it has been mentioned before, they depend on tourism, but we need to find out where the fine line is between going back and helping them out, and going down and being in the way.

pilot fish:
I'm sure Carib Blu and the other hotels, which are owned by large corporations, plus Blue Angel, have insurance.
I'm pretty sure that Caribe Blue, like many of the small hotels are own by individual people. Unlike large chain resorts such as the Palace properties, Occidental, Intercontinental, and Iberostar, these individual property owners do not have the deep pockets necessary to easily over come this tremendous setback, even if they have insurance. It isn't going to be like the TV insurance commercials where the adjustor shows up 2 days latter with a check. Considering the how wide spread the destruction was on the whole Yucatan peninsula, I think it will be many weeks(or even months) before insurance matters are worked out.

This is so sad. Hopefully, Coz can be rebuilt with a month or so. As for the diving I bet it's 6-9 months before it returns to normal. With that much silt drawn up it could really hurt the reef and viz. All that is secondary to the real needs people are experiencing there.

diveborg:
I'm pretty sure that Caribe Blue, like many of the small hotels are own by individual people. Unlike large chain resorts such as the Palace properties, Occidental, Intercontinental, and Iberostar, these individual property owners do not have the deep pockets necessary to easily over come this tremendous setback, even if they have insurance. It isn't going to be like the TV insurance commercials where the adjustor shows up 2 days latter with a check. Considering the how wide spread the destruction was on the whole Yucatan peninsula, I think it will be many weeks(or even months) before insurance matters are worked out.

I wonder about that too. It isn't good news when the Presidente ($$$$$) isn't planning to take guests until December 1 at the earliest (according to their website).

We are looking at our options and are planning to donate our deposits.

diverbob:
I would say if you are going for just the diving, it would be a good idea to cash in the travel insurance. I was just there a few weeks ago, and yes, the reefs was still covered in sand from Emily, and it was still suspended in the water from being blown off the reefs. One dive we had vis down to about 3-5 feet. I cant imagine there being anything enjoyable about diving there now. But the diving is secondary to the people that live and work there. Like it has been mentioned before, they depend on tourism, but we need to find out where the fine line is between going back and helping them out, and going down and being in the way.

THAT IS NOT typical we went to cozumel right after Emily and yes there was still some sand on the reefs but our dives were fantastic. And the visibility was over 50 ft. Not sure where you were to get a 3-5 ft visibility but that is virtuallly impossible in cozumel. There was lots and lots of marine life I wouldnt go this week or next week but in a month yes I am going I know our dive op is ok, and their boats are safe We have been diving cozumel for over 15 years now in all kinds of conditions and have never seen low vis like that. Even right after a storm. Dont jump to conclusions and cancell to fast as we did not cancell in August and was very glad we didnt. Coz was up and running as usual when we got there 3 weeks after Emily. I heard they were up and running in less than 2 weeks. It may take them longer this time but i fell they will be go to go in a month. Kathy

diverbob:

I would think the vis would be back in short order, say, in a few weeks, due to heavy currents?

diverbob:

I agree about the diving being secondary to the people there... they are what bring me back year after year. If this were not my first diving experience, it would be such an easy decision. Of course, even if I do change my plans, I'll be back again later. Since it's such an easy trip from Texas, I am thinking maybe I'll change plans now, but go back just for a long weekend in a couple months.

pilot fish:
I would think the vis would be back in short order, say, in a few weeks, due to heavy currents?

More like a few days.

It may not be your choice!
It is impossible to speculate. You can't just go down there.
The Government, the airlines, hotels, dive ops, may cancel the trips for you.
After Emily, a number of southern hotels closed for at least a month. Some of the airlines announced that they wouldn't resume flights until 2 weeks, a month, etc. If a dive op lost their boats, or the compressors on the island are damaged, there may be no diving available.
If the Island isn't restocked with food, fuel, and necessities...then you can't go
there.
Are tourists even being allowed into the Katrina damaged oceanfront areas of Southern Miss, Louisiana, and Alabama, at this point?
Just wait to see what the official reports are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom