Time to cancel Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie:
It may not be your choice!
It is impossible to speculate. You can't just go down there.
The Government, the airlines, hotels, dive ops, may cancel the trips for you.
After Emily, a number of southern hotels closed for at least a month. Some of the airlines announced that they wouldn't resume flights until 2 weeks, a month, etc. If a dive op lost their boats, or the compressors on the island are damaged, there may be no diving available.
If the Island isn't restocked with food, fuel, and necessities...then you can't go
there.
Are tourists even being allowed into the Katrina damaged oceanfront areas of Southern Miss, Louisiana, and Alabama, at this point?
Just wait to see what the official reports are.

very sound advice.

pilot fish:
I just realized the title of this thread should be, Time to POSTPONE your Coz trip, NOT cancel.

unfortunately, that probably amounts to the same thing for many operators in terms of lost revenue when they need it the most. i have four rooms booked for dec 4th-13th at the presidente. i have a feeling that won't happen, especially since we are travelling with four small children and can't be "roughing it" - no to mention various health risks. we will come back to Coz next year but in the end we will have skipped one trip to Coz. i am still debating and will give it a little more time but it does not look very promising...

If the airport is fixed and there is a seaworthy boat, I am going! My wife and I have reservations from 12/25-1/1. They will definitely need our business if they hope to rebuild. Although, I will miss all the cruise ships..NOT!

docmartin:
unfortunately, that probably amounts to the same thing for many operators in terms of lost revenue when they need it the most. i have four rooms booked for dec 4th-13th at the presidente. i have a feeling that won't happen, especially since we are travelling with four small children and can't be "roughing it" - no to mention various health risks. we will come back to Coz next year but in the end we will have skipped one trip to Coz. i am still debating and will give it a little more time but it does not look very promising...

Trying to rebook for Dec 3rd. Will have to wait for word from the Palace Hotel and see if Christi is open for biz then.

scubacoz22:
THAT IS NOT typical we went to cozumel right after Emily and yes there was still some sand on the reefs but our dives were fantastic. And the visibility was over 50 ft. Not sure where you were to get a 3-5 ft visibility but that is virtuallly impossible in cozumel. There was lots and lots of marine life I wouldnt go this week or next week but in a month yes I am going I know our dive op is ok, and their boats are safe We have been diving cozumel for over 15 years now in all kinds of conditions and have never seen low vis like that. Even right after a storm. Dont jump to conclusions and cancell to fast as we did not cancell in August and was very glad we didnt. Coz was up and running as usual when we got there 3 weeks after Emily. I heard they were up and running in less than 2 weeks. It may take them longer this time but i fell they will be go to go in a month. Kathy

Maybe I caught them on a bad week, I dont know. But I do know 50 foot vis was only on the shallow reef dives. Any walls dives,the current was still taking sand of the reef, and it was like diving in a snow storm, but warmer.

diverbob:
Maybe I caught them on a bad week, I dont know. But I do know 50 foot vis was only on the shallow reef dives. Any walls dives,the current was still taking sand of the reef, and it was like diving in a snow storm, but warmer.

When did you dive? I was diving the 1st week of October and Punta Sur was as calm as I have ever seen it with pretty good viz in excess of 100 feet. The northern reefs were clear as well as San Francisco. We dove in the middle of September and Punta Sur was blowing sand, but Columbia was simply wonderful. You never know about Cozumel...

I'm thinking about Coz, no electricity for at least the next 3 to 5 weeks, no ac for as long, mold growth, nothing to keep food fresh, scarcity of fresh water and over the next few months constant loud construction and rebuilding. Doesn't sound like an inviting dive vacation. These are some of the harsh realities I'm thinking about :(

Back
Top Bottom