Time to hydro tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can always do that but you will need somebody to do the VCI and fill the tank and service the valve. The hydro testing place won't do that for you.

The shop I go to can put on the viz sticker. I remember it was not that long ago you did not need a sticker the first year of hydro because part of the hydro is a viz, and I dare say the viz at the hydro shop is better than you would get at the average LDS. Unfortunately, they charge the same price as the shop, it depends on who you want to pay.

Bob

In my experience (which was the norm in my region, NE USA), the hydro places don't want to have anything to do with VCI or scuba tank valve service. They just do their bit, hydro test, and want to get their money. I am also talking about doing a VCI per PSI standards not just adding a sticker. VCI deals with a totally different set of standards and tests than what Hydro deals with here.

If they don't want to be dealing with a viz sticker, that is their prerogative. If you are saying that they are not properly doing a hydro which includes a visual prescribed by DOT, which I believe is what PSI trains to as well, I believe someone should bring it to the attention of the DOT.

I would like to know how the VCI is different than the inspection that is required during the Hydro process.

Thanks
Bob

It really does depend on the hydro place. Mine is happy to put on the VIP sticker at the time of hydro and only charges $1 to do it. The "hydro" is really a re-qualification that includes a visual inspection component as well as the hydrostatic test itself, so I don't know how much additional checking they actually perform. It is difficult for me to imagine exactly what sort of situation would lead to a tank passing the federal re-qualification but fail the VIP. Perhaps someone who is a PSI-PCI inspector could tell us.

but they have to go through a pretty thorough visual inspection before they go into the test pot, and that is typically more thorough than a scuba vip. Whether it is supposed to be the same or not is not the point, the hydro guys I've dealt with are very particular, especially checking for pitting on steel tanks.

If it is not going into O2 service, especially on aluminum tanks, they are ok for air service from the hydro's vip. Which remember, is only an industry thing, it's not a law... It is up to your shop whether or not they'll accept the hydro shops vip stickers if they have them, or your personal vip stickers if you have them...

Eyeballing a Tank by somebody who isn't following a specific VCI protocol isn't a VCI. If the "visual" for whoever is doing is merely putting a sticker on the Tank, it is just a sticker and doesn't mean anything. Hydro deals with "permanent expansion" of the Tank when pressurized to the "test pressure" of the tank, nothing else.

This doesn't mean the dive shop person who is putting a "visual" sticker on the a tank is more qualified than the Hydro test facility technician slapping a similar sticker on the Tank if either one of them is merely putting a sticker on the tank and isn't following a proper VCI inspection protocol and is trained and qualified to do the VCI himself. Neither one is automatically qualified without the proper training, certification and following proper VCI procedures. Part of a valid VCI is proper documentation and verification of hydro test date in addition to a long list of items to test in a VCI. "Special" tools are required also to do a proper VCI.

VCI is required before the tank goes into the test pot, that is what we are saying. The hydro guys can slap a sticker on them after hydro because they already did a full vip on the tank before it went in the water in the first place

The VCI done before the hydro is "unofficial" since the tank can't be approved for the VCI if the hydro is out of date. It is done before the hydro simply to check the tank to make sure that it would pass the VCI inspection since there is no sense of sending it for a hydro if it is going to fail the VCI test. The formal VCI is done after the hydro and is recorder properly with the new current hydro test.

The visual inspection done by the hydro facility before pressure retesting IS official according to DOT regulations as part of the hydro procedure. There is no DOT regulation requiring visuals after hydro pressure testing has been completed. That is something done strictly by dive shops on a voluntary basis at the urging of PSI/PCI.

Back
Top Bottom