Time to Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two friends that have mares icon net ready. My first friend had pairing problem at first but that got solve some how. Then she was in cozumel for 6 month and the computer said that the transmitter was low battery and then dead. Replacing the battery didn't solve the problem. When she got back, her les sent everything to mares, and she got a new computer an transmitter. My other friend had to send her's to mares with the transmitter. We did 5 dive together in roatan before her transmitter battery died. It survived another couple of dives before her computer depth got misaligned by 30 feet. Meaning, it showed 30 feet down went she was on the surface. I have not talk to her, so I don't know if the issue got resolved. Two people with icon, two bad stories. I'm happy with my galileo sol.

Its the freaking cold water in Canada. Batteries don't like the cold.

The Oceanic VT4.1 is on sale until the end of the month, with transmitter, for $800. Oceanic is also offering a 20% discount for in store, old computer, trade in. That would make the final price $640, a pretty significant savings. The Oceanic computers give you your choice of the DSAT or PZ+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C) decompression algorithms.

I have no personal experience with the VT4.1. I dive a VT3 as my primary computer and have about 4 1/2 years and just over 460 trouble free dives with it. I just installed my 3rd battery about 10 dives ago on my most recent trip to Florida.

I find it interesting that Mares markets the new Icon HD (introduced in this summer) as the Icon HD Black Edition and not ICON HD Net Ready. In fact many of the posts complaining about pairing indicate that the computer is the ICON HD Net Ready. Does anyone have experience with the ICON HD Black Edition?

@barilhu- Do you know if your friends' computers were Icon HD "Net Ready" (Silver bezel/face plate)?

@RhWesftall- I'm surprised to hear your opinion regarding Mares Technical Support. I've asked around at some of the LDS in my area, neither are Mares dealers, and the feedback has been relatively positive regarding Mares Technical Support.

Kevin

Both my friends had siver icon net ready. Mares replace one with a black edtion,but she has not dove with it yet......

@RhWesftall- I'm surprised to hear your opinion regarding Mares Technical Support. I've asked around at some of the LDS in my area, neither are Mares dealers, and the feedback has been relatively positive regarding Mares Technical Support.

Kevin

I have a "ticket" from 2 years ago still "open" in regard to some software issues. They responded once that they were "on vacation", and would get back to me. Never did. I inquired again and have been in a black hole.

(interesting enough, it was folks from SB actually assisted in resolving my issue, but Mares made no efforts to resolve it, fix the issue in future releases, and now, suggest you use something from the aftermarket....)

I will never, repeat never, purchase any Mares product.....

(a shop here said "don't buy Mares computers" - and they were a Mares Dealer)

I decided to get the Mares Icon HD Black Edition. The guys at DRIS ( Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area. ) treated me fairly and gave me a decent deal. The Black Edition appears to have no problems with pairing. I'll use it on my ice dive and report back if I encounter any problems. Does anyone know what this piece of neoprene is used for? mares_acces.jpg

Kevin
Saratoga County NY

Protective cover?

If you don't have a wetsuit, you can use it as padding between your arm and the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom