Tipping for diving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. I will plan on buying the instructors lunch or dinner.

I do have a question about the certfication class though. Isn't it standard practice to complete the certification in 2 days? I checked quite a few dive shops. It seems to be pretty standard. We are staying on the east side. There are only two dive shops Ocean Frontier and Red Sail.

My kids are doing the online class now.

Two days is the norm for the OW dives themselves. I've seen 2-4 days or evenings for the classroom and confined water portion. I used to live in NOVA and there are plenty of good dive shops. I would highly recommend that your children complete the classroom and confined water portion of the course and just do the OW dives through a referral. I have used and would recommend Aquatic Adventures in Alexandria, "The" Dive Shop in Fairfax, Woodbridge Scuba in Dale City, and a few others for training. They have some good instructors and the kids will gain the knowledge and skills required before their vacation to make it a memorable and valued experience. Pushing them through an assemblyline certification can be dangerous. I would not do it with my kids.

Bri

Thanks for the responses. I will plan on buying the instructors lunch or dinner.

I do have a question about the certfication class though. Isn't it standard practice to complete the certification in 2 days? I checked quite a few dive shops. It seems to be pretty standard. We are staying on the east side. There are only two dive shops Ocean Frontier and Red Sail.

My kids are doing the online class now.

My wife and I got certified by Ocean Frontiers a number of years ago, and they're great. However, our course was three days, not two, and we dove with them for the entire week we were down there. It was a great experience.

- Rob

For an eClass completion, 2-days is normal.

Addressing the title of the thread; not sure how it works in Coz but in Hawaii the instructor most definitely does usually get tipped. One should always base vacation tipping on vacation location; never on Nova Scotia or Canonsburg tipping. :idk:

I've never tipped nor have I seen it done, either as a student or as a DM in training.

The instructor usually does not get tips.

Cramming it all into 2 days may be typical in vacation areas but doesn't mean it's a great idea, no matter how good the shop. (I suspect dive ops find that lots of potential customers - who since they haven't dove by definition usually don't know better yet - want to spend as little of their vacation time on this as possible. And if they don't offer it in the shortest time possible someone else will.) If you can arrange for your kids to do the pool work at home in a less rushed fashion and do just the OW dives there it might be better for them.

For an eClass completion, 2-days is normal.

Addressing the title of the thread; not sure how it works in Coz but in Hawaii the instructor most definitely does usually get tipped. One should always base vacation tipping on vacation location; never on Nova Scotia or Canonsburg tipping. :idk:

I've never seen it done anywhere on the Fla. panhandle either.

I always tip the instructor when he brings my kids safely home.

I suspect when they are teenagers I will tip him if he doesn't...

One should always base vacation tipping on vacation location; never on Nova Scotia or Canonsburg tipping. :idk:

I've never seen it done anywhere on the Fla. panhandle either.

Well, as I typed it I am saying "when in Rome do as one does in Rome" and still you will not consider Rome???

What training have you done &/or assisted with on the Florida Panhandle? Other than Marine Reserve live shell collectors and Oriskany divers, who vacations on the Florida Panhandle???

Last edited:
Cramming it all into 2 days may be typical in vacation areas but doesn't mean it's a great idea, no matter how good the shop.

Considering the high price, one would hope this is a private class. A 3-day private class will likely cost at least $100 more per kid, meaning the tip would be an additional $30-40. (extra $230??) :shocked2:

An instructor who has a hard time conducting CW and OW training in tropical conditions, for 2 kids who should be there, in 2 days is not worth a tip. If the kids are not able to do it in 2 days, an instructor worthy of a tip would not complete it in 2 days. :idk:

There is no way to say this is right or wrong without knowing the kids, but this is the way the vast majority of dive destination vacation shops/instructors would schedule the training. If you tip heavy the first day, a short morning on the 3rd day might just cost an additional tip. :D

Well, as I typed it I am saying "when in Rome do as one does in Rome" and still you will not consider Rome???

What training have you done &/or assisted with on the Florida Panhandle? Other than Marine Reserve live shell collectors and Oriskany divers, who vacations on the Florida Panhandle???

5 specialties with varied other students for MSD. Old folks like me often winter there, as well as the weeks of Spring Breakers. Once April comes apparently the LDS' are hopping through to Nov. I was just saying I have never seen any tipping during courses, not that it doesn't occur (or shouldn't occur) in some places. Haven't seen it here in NS either as a student or a DMC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom