Tipping for diving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-learning..2 Full days is normal..for a diver in training without issues..if a student is slow at mastering water skills.. really should allow an extra day (just in case)

Tipping is not a requirement...sure is appreciated.

E-learning..2 Full days is normal.

And buying pizza made by a kid who works at Dominos - and can make three pizzas in 49.1 seconds - is normal too...

DOMINOS-FASTEST-PIZZA-MAKER.jpg

...but that doesn't mean that the pizza's any good. In fact, it pretty much guarantees that it's not.

As the old saying goes: "Fast or good - pick one!"

300_41308.jpg

Gratuities are appreciated but in the dive industry seem not to be expected. Would you offer a gratuity to an instructor or guide that had given your children good service if it were for something other than diving? The standard 10 to 20 percent of base fee should apply if you are looking for a suggested amount. IMHO

I've never tipped nor have I seen it done, either as a student or as a DM in training. I do tip the divemaster/crew on a charter most times.
Neither had I until I went somewhere OUTSIDE OF CANADA. When I arrived in the Caribbean, I suddenly realized that minimum wage is a concept LOST completely in the physical translation. When you are paid 75$ per day by the shop and get a 5$ per training dive 'bonus' you suddenly realize how foreign of a land you are in.
10%-15% is usually the norm. In your case it comes out to $40. to $60 per kid.
If there was any issues with the students,such as requiring extra attention /time then tip more accordingly..A instructor never expects a tip because people are too cheap to begin with, or do not realize it is a service based industry, but when received very it is very much appreciated.You tip the bartender who brings you drinks higher percentage than that,a instructor should be appreciated as much.
In our discussion before Christmas, I thought you were beyond redemption oly... I stand corrected. Any patron worth their salt will tip a BARMAN like that... what is so different about an expensive dinner or going out for an evening drinks or being taught the fundamentals of SCUBA?? Each involves a product (meal/drink/course) that the provider (waiter/barman/Scuba Instructor) has little control over the controlled component input (food/booze/course materials) but has HUGE influence over the presentation, acceptance, enjoyment, and your willingness to return. You tip the guy who serves the product.
Not the instructor's fault individually, probably, but any dive op that that is [-]gauging[/-] gouging students that much can afford to throw the instructor an extra few dollars - no need for you to go deeper into your pocket.
I never had a crabshell guage big enough for the kids I teach
E-learning..2 Full days is normal..for a diver in training without issues..if a student is slow at mastering water skills.. really should allow an extra day (just in case)

Amen

Neither had I until I went somewhere OUTSIDE OF CANADA. When I arrived in the Caribbean, I suddenly realized that minimum wage is a concept LOST completely in the physical translation. When you are paid 75$ per day by the shop and get a 5$ per training dive 'bonus' you suddenly realize how foreign of a land you are in.

I see your point. I'm sure there are many places where a tip for an instructor would be appropriate, maybe even expected. One also must consider cost of living in places (such as Thailand, I've heard) where $75 a day may not be too bad. And also that pretty much everyone knows you'll very rarely make any good money as an instructor, not to mention divemaster.

People here seem to confuse the amount of hours spent in a classroom or pool with the quality of a course..Totally wrong way to look at things.
I find if an instructor takes a overly amount of time teaching it is because they BS too much telling unnecessary "war stories" or are not organized very well,usually both.
Reality is if a student is comfortable in the water, a competent effective instructor can complete all confined water requirements in 4 to 5 hours easily.Not saying all 5 hours are to be at one time,but that is what it should take for a private/semi private program.
Currently I have a private student who is 14 yo and going on elearning for academic requirements. He aced-100% the quick review first time. Good swimmer and comfortable in water.I completed mod 1 with him a few days ago and it took 2 hrs start to finish,with time spent in the pool and classroom taking the quick review quiz.
Completed mod 2 in the pool today in 1 1/2 hour,with time spent at the end of module swimming around pool for 15/20 minutes.
Will see him tomorrow @ 4pm to complete mod 3-4-5 in the pool.I expect to be completed by no later than 6pm..probably as early as 5pm. and then issue his referral for ow dives to complete in the islands next week.
fee for private academic elearning - with very little or no remedial academic time spent-with confined water here in NY is $500.
Standard private type of course,no elearning we charge $600.
I would not be surprised to get a tip from $60. to $100.

Neither had I until I went somewhere OUTSIDE OF CANADA. When I arrived in the Caribbean, I suddenly realized that minimum wage is a concept LOST completely in the physical translation. When you are paid 75$ per day by the shop and get a 5$ per training dive 'bonus' you suddenly realize how foreign of a land you are in.In our discussion before Christmas, I thought you were beyond redemption oly... I stand corrected. Any patron worth their salt will tip a BARMAN like that... what is so different about an expensive dinner or going out for an evening drinks or being taught the fundamentals of SCUBA?? Each involves a product (meal/drink/course) that the provider (waiter/barman/Scuba Instructor) has little control over the controlled component input (food/booze/course materials) but has HUGE influence over the presentation, acceptance, enjoyment, and your willingness to return. You tip the guy who serves the product. I never had a crabshell guage big enough for the kids I teachAmen

I do not understand the comment about my being beyond redemption??
But students/customers have to be reminded that it is a SERVICE INDUSTRY and tips are greatly appreciated. As an example, when I am on a charter boat that I am not working,but on as a customer,I make it a point that before the boat docks upon returning , I very LOUDLY thank the crew for the day and make sure all on the boat hear me and see me hand a tip to the crew.After I do that you find people talking to each other and then digging into their pockets to reward the crew for their efforts.I doubt they would have done so if I did not point it out.Maybe I embarassed them into doing the right thing.

'beyond redemption' was based upon frustration with your point of view in the last discussion we entertained... back in december. :D

As far as guilting divers into the tip jar: that mostly only works on North Americans... Canadians can be coerced out of a couple bucks, heck often even the brits consider it...but the worst ???...try to get some euros outa the dutch!!! NEVER- Not Once!!! NO WAY JOSE!! The North Americans will plug the jar but EVERY Dutch person I ever guided on a daily dive boat walked right past the jar knowing FULL WELL what it was for and supposed to be full of *grumble grumble*

Thanks all for the suggestions. My husband and I did the pool portion many years ago in Northern Virginia. We went through the referral process. I did not like it at all. We have many people in our pool session. Even though we had multiple instructors to do the demos, it is very hard for me to see and hear with the light in the deep pool and the echo. I dreaded mask removal and failed when when we did the first open water dive. I saw my instructor at the resort pool that afternoon and asked him about mask removal. He showed me there right at the little pool. I got it the first time. It was so much better when I can see from the outside. I also think it is much better for the kids to get to know the instructors at the pool before going out on the boat.

They are both good swimmers. They've been on recreational swim team every summer for three years now. I watched over their shoulders when they did the online classes. My 14 year old only watched the main course material. He mastered the material fast and always passed the tests on first try. My 11 year old watched all the extra videos and spent much more time on the course. But he failed some tests and had to retry. I am kind of glad he can do it on his own pace. He would have been embarrassed to fail if he is in the same classroom with his brother.

Another way of looking at it: If you signed up for a college course you wouldn't tip the professor regardless of whether he did a great job teaching or not. You have paid for the course and the prof. should get a decent salary. Dive instructors do not get paid much, but that may be something dive instructors have to address as a group-I know that may be a fairy tale scenario, but that's life. You pay for a plumber, but no one ever tips him, even if he is not the boss and works for a company. On the other hand, you'd tip a waitress because you are paying the boss for the food and the waitress takes care of the service. I guess the waitress could be compared to the dive instructor, but then again, the instructor, I think is more akin to the professor. Probably a divemaster is more like a waitress in that his service can range from doing the minimum to making sure your dive experience is the best possible. It''s a grey area, I guess, but maybe that explains why I never gave thought to tipping an instructor after a class. His job is to make sure everyone is as safe as possible to begin diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom