Tipping for diving class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think $0 (i.e. don't tip) is a valid response to the OP's question of "how much?" and the subsequent tip v. don't tip is pertinent discussion immediately pertaining to "how much?". I agree with TM, I never tipped my kindergarten, elementary, high school, or college professors. I didn't tip my flight school instructor. I sure as hell didn't tip the attending physicians during residency. All were instructors of some kind. I've used the same dive instructor for all classes and he still seems to like me even though I've never tipped him either.

If the edit button was still available on my last post I would put this there, so there would not be this never ending got to get the last post on a thread that should have ended pages ago.

If we would all refrain from posting in threads where we have nothing of value to post, there would be way less train wrecks. The OP knew a tip was part of the deal; the question was how much at Grand Cayman. There was no request for opinions on tipping!

Didn't read where he said he knew a tip was part of the deal. He probably should've asked that only folks who had been there need reply. Lots of others besides me did. This will be my last post.

I've been tipped on a course before as an assistant, from people that are really grateful for the help they've gotten when otherwise they wanted to quit, or thought they couldn't do it. It's been a lunch, a few beers, bottle of rum or something which to me I'm really appreciative of, much more so than I would be of cash.

I don't expect to be tipped, and wouldn't be comfortable working in an environment where the management pushed for us to be tipped. I do this because I love diving, the shops already push the hard sell and It's expensive for anyone to dive. We know what we got ourselves in for before we became pro's and it wasn't about the cash, there's none to be had.

Tip only if you really think you got service above and beyond imo. Our tip is being able to dive for free any time and the lifestyle that goes along with that.

Couldn't have said it better Dave. I love to teach and I love to dive. Teaching gives me opportunities to get in the water. I don't care if it's the ocean or a quarry or warm or cold I love it all. I do it because I love to teach and love helping people learn something that I love.

That being said...I was tipped once. The father and son had pretty terrible buoyancy on thei AOW class and I spent a lot of time down on the platform trying to get them to improve before their deep dive. The son improved leaps and bounds, the dad....not as much. Found out they gave the instructor some $$ and told him to give it to me the next time he saw me. It was a nice gesture to know what I did was appreciated.

Strangely enough, more than money, I've gotten many compliments and thanks from the students for helping them out and answering questions and making things fun. That means more to me than money. Just knowing my effort was appreciated :)

I've used the same dive instructor for all classes and he still seems to like me even though I've never tipped him either.

Actually....um....funny you bring this up. I talked to your instructor last week...yeahhhhh...he's pretty pissed off about the no tipping thing. He said he tries to put on a good face so you'll maybe buy a snorkel from the dive shop.....so yeahhh....you might want to tip him eventually :D He muttered something about farting into the compressor intake during your next tank fill or something....whatever that means. :wink:

It's customary most places to tip boat crews if you take your class and go out on a boat ($5-$10 a tank is fairly common on standard 2-tank charters), usually tips get split between all crew members including the instructor.

If all your diving is shore diving its really up to the individual/student and while tipping isn't required it sure helps out in such a low paying profession. At the very least buy the guy/gal a beer if you had a good time:cheers:. It's just a nice thing to do.:D

Back
Top Bottom