Tipping on guided dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:dork2:

:no I have worked as a guide on a dive boat out of Key Largo, every trip with that company was a guided dive. Every dive boat in Hawaii does guided dives, you would have a very hard time not doing a guided boat dive here unless you rented your own boat.

Before you speak for the entire US you probably need to dive everywhere in the US.:shakehead:

Ok sorry, I should have added "In general". Guided dives are not nearly as common in the US as they are in many other places. I dive never had a guided dive in the US, and I do quite a bit of diving. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

You ALWAYS tip the DM and the Captain at least $5 for each trip out, no matter what , otherwise you are a cheapskate.

My response really only applies to my personal expirence in Cozumel. We used a boat that allowed my wife to snorkle while I was diving. Little did I know that when we arrived at the marina, I was the only diver. Just me and the dive master. It was great. Two tanks through incredibly long swim throughs that he later told me he would not take a big group. SO in this instance I tipped him 50 bucks. That was his only tip on that trip seeing as how I was the only diver. In this situation, The DM had to dive with me or I could not have went.

In the US I usually tip a general DM, someone who helps you around the boat,gearing up,etc.,about 10 bucks per tank. I have never used a DM as a guide in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom