Tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . The only way to solve these problems is to ask up front, . . . .

The only way to SOLVE the problem is for the service provider to a charge a price that takes the true total cost of the service into account or, alternatively, add a "service charge" item to the bill that serves the same purpose. Everything else is just a Band-Aid on the problem.

I've been reluctant to join the thread, but I happen to live on Vancouver Island (near Nanaimo) and I have done some guiding for the local dive shop.

A tip is just that, in my opinion. Something a diver may choose to offer the guide after the dives, on the occasion they had some wonderful diving and felt the guide brought something great to the table.

As for myself, I do guiding to help out the shop. They have a set charge for divers wanting guiding. I get paid by the shop. I am happy with that arrangement, otherwise I can always stop guiding. If I get a tip from a diver, I'm very grateful because it is never expected. My expectation is that I will do my best possible job guiding and showing the diver cool stuff that our oceans have to offer whether I'm tipped or not.

I just enjoy diving.

When I don't feel like guiding, then I don't guide. We have a fair number of really excellent guides at our shop, so I am confident anyone using our shop gets some great dives.

I worked as a guide from Victoria for years, no tip, ever.......I hope I wasn't a bad guide......my pay was slight from the shop but tons of thank you's and smiles from the customers......generally, it's just not a custom to tip in Canada. Must be easier to guide in zero vis, 45 degree water, huge current and tons of weight than the caymans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember one trip I was on where the DM worked for tips. we are talking about things and he said that in the next dive he would take us to a couple out of the way spots. We saw some great things that the herd did not. And yes I tipped him well. Having the DM take us was not agreed to in port so I had no problem paying/tipping for the extra benefit we got from the excursion. I admit that the DM probably was confident he could bolster up a tip by offering us the semi private guide treatment. But with out him I would not have seen the many things I did solely because of him making the extra effort. Like in a food place the waitress bringing a mint and a thanks for being a nice customer after eating means nothing until you realize none of the others are doing it.

Must be easier to guide in zero vis, 45 degree water, huge current and tons of weight than the caymans.

Oh come on. What you can't see won't hurt you, right? Less viz is less worry :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom