Tipping the Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tip each and every day. DMs and captains can change from day to the next and I want to ensure I don't inadvertantly miss someone. I usually give it (discretely if I can) to the DM, who I expect shares it with the captain.

I try and tip roughly 15% of the cost of the dive, but have gone higher if there has been exceptional service. For example, on a second dive, just as we were getting ready to enter the water, air started hissing from my first stage but we couldn't figure out from where. Because my reg is set up as it is (Air Source II plus air-integrated computer), it's not just a simple matter of giving me a spare reg. So DM got out his took kit, tried to switch over a bunch of bits and pieces but it still didn't work. Feeling sorry for the other divers on the boat waiting to start their dive, I said "don't worry, I'll just sit this one out". But in the meantime the captain had radioed to another boat and secured another first stage for me to use with the bits and pieces needed from my reg to do my dive. Then after the dive he put Humpty-Dumpty back together again so I could take into Javier for repairs.... who said an O-ring inside the first stage had blown. Fortunately he fixed it in time for me to make it back for my night dive! That day I tipped $25!

And when I dive with Living Underwater, in addition to the daily tips, I usually add something extra at the very end (which I hope the owner doesn't share) for the superior service provided above and below the water before, during and after the trip....things like pointing me to great, economical places to stay, advice on how to be a better diver, giving me a lift to or from the marina if I'm "on the way" etc. etc.

I don't understand people who don't tip at all until the end of the trip. Tips are designed to motivate (and reward) good service, and a tip at the end of each day means you might see some benefit on future dives. For example, I've noticed more than once that the site I request ends up being the one we visit when I left a decent tip the day before.

scubamickey:
Personally, I don't go on boat trips that are "guided".

All boat dives in Cozumel (this forum) are 'guided'.

fireflock:
I don't understand people who don't tip at all until the end of the trip. Tips are designed to motivate (and reward) good service, and a tip at the end of each day means you might see some benefit on future dives. For example, I've noticed more than once that the site I request ends up being the one we visit when I left a decent tip the day before.

Well, in my case, that's what the dive shop suggested. Since I didn't need anything more than the boat trip out to the site, it was no big deal for me. Plus tipping at the end had absolutely no impact on the sevice (which was very good) or the sites.

On liveaboards you don't tip until the end. At least the ones I'm familiar with and have spoken to other people about. I expect good service from anyone who is paid to do their job. Whether that be a waitress or a DM. If the attitude is "I'll only give you good service if you pay me extra", then that just motivates me to not tip.

fireflock:
All boat dives in Cozumel (this forum) are 'guided'.

I know, that's why I don't go to Cozumel. I was expressing an opinion.
I also didn't catch that this was a Cozumel only forum. I thought the OP was asking a general tipping question.

scubamickey:
I know, that's why I don't go to Cozumel.
So you avoid diving everywhere where guided dives are the norm? That eliminates a lot of good diving around the world, not just Cozumel.

I also dont understand not tipping. Unless you feel like you got crummy service, they should be tipped to show your appreciation. I also tip each day, as occasionally the DM or captain is different for all kinds of reasons. I tip $10 to the DM, and $10 to the Capitan each day for the wife and I on a two tank dive. In fact...I am embarrassed when other people, especially Americans, dont feel like tipping when the crew has done a great job...what gives.

And ScubaMickey..why talk about why you dont go to Cozumel because you have to tip, or the dive is "guided"....in a Cozumel forum. I grew up hunting, live in Oregon, my father is a outfitter and guide, and yet...if i take a hunting trip somewhere I am not familiar with, I definately tip for good service. Call me mistaken, but that is an American tradition. Why should that be any different outside of the USA? These people work hard to accomodate us, they should be recognized for their efforts.
Just my two bits...

I think people don't realize that diving is a 'service' industry, and just don't realize about tipping. At least I hope that's it, and not that so many people are just cheap!

Gdog, not sure that I am understanding you, but are you saying one should tip in every foreign country? I think there are a few spots in the world where it's actually considered bad form to tip. (Mexico ain't one of them, however.:D )

Gdog:
...if i take a hunting trip somewhere I am not familiar with, I definately tip for good service. Call me mistaken, but that is an American tradition. Why should that be any different outside of the USA? These people work hard to accomodate us, they should be recognized for their efforts.
Just my two bits...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom