Tipping the Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, MMM, if it is considered bad taste to tip, then do not tip...but if tipping is considered a form of thanks for good services rendered, then by all means....show some class and do what is right.

I tip each and every day. DMs and captains can change from day to the next and I want to ensure I don't inadvertantly miss someone. I usually give it (discretely if I can) to the DM, who I expect shares it with the captain.

I try and tip roughly 15% of the cost of the dive, but have gone higher if there has been exceptional service.
:hmmm: Why discreetly? I don't shout about it, but I do it in a way that others will see - help suggest thru example.

I a little surprised at the 15%, but maybe I dive a cheaper Op. Two tank trip = $50 USD > $7.50? I give them a ten, if 2- fives, spread the bills so it's seen as a ten to the cheap guy who trying to pretend he didn't think of it.

Having a tener handy pay not be convenient on the dive boat, but I just include that in my pre-trip planning when I go to the bank to get travelers checks and and an envelope of $1s, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 that rides in my laptop backpack with my passport, never leaves my person until I get to the hotel room safe, but no one needs to know about. Then more the morning pre-dive packing, include a ten, 2 fives, twos and ones (in case I want to tip less or more) with my dry camera in my dry bag.

Mickey is in Alaska, and while most certainly in the US - still a different culture in some ways I'm sure, and married to a DM didn't she say? I've read it's differently seen for many coming from other countries, but I try to go with the local habits, then maybe more. I under tipped grossly at the end of a dive week on my first trip - to Roatan, and felt bad until I saw the same guys again a couple years later first day back: "You may not remember me, but I remember you - and I owe you guys," and laid $20 on each. They enjoyed it. :D

I've noticed that they seem to tip a lot less in Calf? Talk about a different culture, tho...?

I usually tip 15-20% to the tip jar for the cost of the diving, UNLESS the service was poor, in which case it slides to 10% or less. (This is pretty much how I tip in stateside restaurants.)

Americans are always over tipping. It's like we are tryingt o impress the World or something. A fair tip for a two tank dive is $5. If everyone did that the DM's would have a nice pay day. I am not going ot over tip to impress anyone. This American tipping crap is gotten out of hand. Many times I see the DM pandering to females on the boat and the lone guys are left for shark bait on teh dive. Sorry, if $5 is not enough for you, give it back and I'll give it to the lady that cleans my room.

Why discreetly? Because I really don't think it's anyone else's business whether or indeed how much I tip (might be a Canadian sensibility). The rest can do what they wish; I'm not their mother.

I said "roughly" 15%. I certainly don't carry around coins to tip with. Blue Angel (your "cheaper" op) gets a $10 tip from me. Living Underwater gets more.

Like you, I make arrangements in advance of departure to make sure I have lots of $5 and $10 bills (or comparable peso amounts) intended strictly for tips. Each day, it goes into a waterproof container that goes into my dry bag, along with lunch money and "mad" money.

DandyDon:
:hmmm: Why discreetly? I don't shout about it, but I do it in a way that others will see - help suggest thru example.

I a little surprised at the 15%, but maybe I dive a cheaper Op. Two tank trip = $50 USD > $7.50? I give them a ten, if 2- fives, spread the bills so it's seen as a ten to the cheap guy who trying to pretend he didn't think of it.

Having a tener handy pay not be convenient on the dive boat, but I just include that in my pre-trip planning when I go to the bank to get travelers checks and and an envelope of $1s, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 that rides in my laptop backpack with my passport, never leaves my person until I get to the hotel room safe, but no one needs to know about. ?

T.I.P. = To Insure Promptness in case you didn't know.

DandyDon:
I have been known to pass the hat on a boat if I'm with a group I know. :wink:

Would that be your 10 gallon hat? Bet the divemasters like that one, just think how many $10 bills it takes to fill up a hat like that?:D

mattboy:
Would that be your 10 gallon hat? Bet the divemasters like that one, just think how many $10 bills it takes to fill up a hat like that?:D
On a boat? OMG! :shakehead Gimme cap with bandana tucked in to shade my ears and neck. :14:

Utila-3.jpg

I tipped while diving in Coz, But I even tipped while earning my advanced open water. The DM was fantastic I swear he planted all the little critters so he knew where they were. We asked about things and he found every single one. As for my Advanced Instructor he did his job above and beyond I just wished he would have been my OW Instructor. I tipped him also... I was a male single diver and Pedro (DM) and Javier (AOW Instructor) never treated me wrong at all. Mago (Boat Captain) took care of me, my equipment just after a dive, during the SI and after returning to the pier. I am in the service industry and have seen when people expect a tip... They did not from checking in with the dive op till the day I left Coz I never felt like I was a dollar sign $$$, but like part of a dive family. I have been in the service industry for 18 years and I hope I can tell fake enthusiasm and I saw none. I was a new diver in a foreign country and they went the extra mile for me... SO I tipped probably over tipped but I have not been treated like that on a vacation ever. I will never dive with another OP in Cozumel ever. I will change my vacation dates so I can dive with this OP. Yes we tip for a lot of things that probably shouldn’t be tipped. I once got a 9$ tip for pushing a button to turn on the gas and collect money, I did nothing. I consider my life in the hands of the Boat Captain, Dive Master, and yes my Instructor. I did forget to tip Santos the person that rinsed and took care of my gear but trust me I will make up for it next trip. But hey that is me, I am just out to impress people saying that I am a rich American not to say Thank You for making my vacation THE BEST I HAVE HAD!!! That is what it is all about vacation that is ... to relax and enjoy, and all of them made it happen.

If you can't afford to tip $5 per tank then you can't afford to dive... period. I'm not out to impress the world with my tipping but I do know my place in this world... and how good I have it.

I dive with the same op every time, the service is impeccable. Gear stored, washed and set up for me every day. My mouthpiece is broken, they fix it. I want to see a Seahorse or a Green Moray, they find me one. Hey, let's go to Maracaibo or Chun Chakaab today... sure, no problem!

If I can't afford that $5 extra per tank I'll just got to The Keys where the divemaster stands at the back of the boat smoking a cigar and pushes you in the water. Ummm, no thanks, never again. And no, they don't deserve a tip. Yeah, I'm talking about you Ocean Divers.

If you don't want the services that Cozumel provides then go somewhere else... that's the beauty of it, so many choices. As long as I'm on my rant, make sure to cough up a few bucks per day for your maid too. They make dirt for money.

:coffee: That ain't coffee in my cup... Where's the beer drinking smilie? :beer_yum:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom