Tips buying used Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a used Atomic B2 Reg. Has only a couple dozen dives on it, less than a year old. Service interval is 2 years/300 dives. I know it is a good idea to have any used reg serviced before using it.

What I'm wondering is, if I'm diving Nitrox, regardless whether I have it serviced or not, do I need to have it Oxygen cleaned or is that not necessary.

Nope, unless you're going over 40%, at least that's what "they" say. Here's a tip about buying a used reg, though; find a good tech before you buy it, tell him/her what you're planning on doing and plan on dropping it off immediately after purchase. That's what I did when I bought an old SP reg and it made all the difference. For example, one of the 2nd stages I bought was from a self proclaimed SP tech but came with a U.S. divers diaphraghm; another on was sold as "just rebuilt" but leaked so badly it never would have gotten through a dive. The tech I was already in touch with rebuilt the regs and they've been terrific since.

bought a used sherwood reg,octopus and a consoule off of Ebay for the girlfriend. Had them serviced at the local LDS and they work fine. Nothing wrong with buying used...just get them serviced

The only thing with used verses new and getting them serviced is the extra costs involved and that some new regulators come with "free parts warranties".

so lets say I can buy a new regulator for $500 (to pick a price)
and that the same used regulator I buy used for $400 (to pick a random price)
A savings of $100 bucks.

So if I buy used and get it serviced, and it costs $60 for service and $60 for labor, then that's $120 before I can ever use it.

Then I service it every year for the next 3 years and don't have the free parts warranty and have to pay for parts. $60 per year or $180 for 3 years, which is a safe estimate of at least how many additonal years of use you'd do. Not including labor for annual service since you'd pay it regardless.

So grand total over the next 3 years, I've spent the original $120 for initial service and an additional $180 for parts not covered by a "free parts warranty", or $300 total.

So using the above original prices of $500 new or $400 used, I saved $100 bucks, but I spend $300 on additional service that wouldn't be required of a new regulator. So new, you spent $500, or used + additional service you spent $400+$300=$700. so in this case, you actually loose money buying used in the "long run".

The reason I bring this up, is that I've seen people do this numerous times buying used regulators. First thing they do is take them down for service and spend at least a $100 bucks on them due to the lack of "free parts" warranty.

Agree.

It can turn out be a good deal if you are able to serve your reg by yourself or find the LDS that charges less.....

Hi!

Is it wise to buy used regulator from the internet..i found a 3-yr.old (used but in good condition according to the seller) Poseidon Jetstream 1st, 2nd stage and Poseidon Octopus up for sale? For all of the items..only $300.

mike_s:
The only thing with used verses new and getting them serviced is the extra costs involved and that some new regulators come with "free parts warranties".

so lets say I can buy a new regulator for $500 (to pick a price)
and that the same used regulator I buy used for $400 (to pick a random price)
A savings of $100 bucks.

So if I buy used and get it serviced, and it costs $60 for service and $60 for labor, then that's $120 before I can ever use it.

Then I service it every year for the next 3 years and don't have the free parts warranty and have to pay for parts. $60 per year or $180 for 3 years, which is a safe estimate of at least how many additonal years of use you'd do. Not including labor for annual service since you'd pay it regardless.

So grand total over the next 3 years, I've spent the original $120 for initial service and an additional $180 for parts not covered by a "free parts warranty", or $300 total.

So using the above original prices of $500 new or $400 used, I saved $100 bucks, but I spend $300 on additional service that wouldn't be required of a new regulator. So new, you spent $500, or used + additional service you spent $400+$300=$700. so in this case, you actually loose money buying used in the "long run".

The reason I bring this up, is that I've seen people do this numerous times buying used regulators. First thing they do is take them down for service and spend at least a $100 bucks on them due to the lack of "free parts" warranty.
I paid 60 bucks to get a used sherwood reg and octo serviced. Payed 100 bucks for the setup. Tell me know where I went wrong.....ahhhhhhh probabley can't.
They work like they are brand new.....ebay.

laserdoc:
I paid 60 bucks to get a used sherwood reg and octo serviced. Payed 100 bucks for the setup. Tell me know where I went wrong.....ahhhhhhh probabley can't.
They work like they are brand new.....ebay.

Sounds like you came out with a good overall deal then.

BTW everyone, the servicing costs I put above for $60 labor and $60 parts is just a general assumption based on if they have to use all the parts needed as part of a rebuild. sometimes it can be done with less parts and of course all shops charge slightly differently price schedules also. But they are fairly decent numbers to go by. You could however get a service done for as little as $30-$50 bucks total if the regulator is in good shape. Brands also affect price. Different manufactureres of course charge different for parts.

I'm a fan of the Conshelf series. From the XI on up, they use the same internals. I've gotten Conshelf regs for next to nothing(in one case, $50 for a pair of functional XIVs). I've got an XI that I use for pool diving that I've had for years, never rebuilt, and was purchased for less than $30 as I recall. Pick your brand wisely, if it's ebay watch the seller's feedback rating, and don't buy into something with expensive or hard to get parts.

In addition, there are many variation depending on the brand and model of reg..

For example, SP MK25/S600. You might get it at around $350 ragne at eBay, but it doesn't make sense to me unless you will serve your regulator by yourself becuase if the overhaul cost will be at least $60 (labor + part). In that case, it had better get the brand new one with the house warranty from LP at $425.

Another example, you might get MK2/R190 at $85 off the ebay, but after adding on the overhaul cost, there will not be difference to get the brand new one from Scubatoys.com

So, there are many factors to justify the used reg on the internet, such as service availability, service cost in your reason, brand and model.

If you are a newbie as a rec. diver, I recommend getting the brand new one from the reliable LDS or internet distributor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom