tips for DM stamina tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I might be doing the stamina portion of my DM course tomorrow and I feel a bit stressed out about it. The thing is I have no problem swimming the distances or anything but I have always been a very slow swimmer (same goes for jobbing) I have no problem with running out of breath or anything it's just that somehow my technique is crap I guess :wink:

Anyways since you need 12 points in total I was going to concentrate on the water treading, diver tow and snorkel tests as I feel I might have a better chance to get good scores on those rather than the 400m swim.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for the tests? On the diver tow for example what technique would you use? I suppose you can tow anyway you want right so I was thinking about just swimming breast swim and towing the diver on his back on the side by holding the tank valve. Is this a good idea or is it better to do a modified tired divers tow or just do the tank tow but swim on your back?

As for the snorkel part I'm a bit worried my fins (volo Power) tend to break the surface too much not giving me effective finning? Any input? I have a pair of old full foots (which I heard are better for snorkeling at the surface) but as they are ancient I suppose I'm still better off using my Volos?

As for the water treading I'll be doing it in a pool so now extra bouyancy due to salt water unfortunately so floating will be a bit trickier....hmz any tips?

Thanks a lot guys

/C

I'm the same way. My time for the swim was horrible. But I made up for it on the snorkel and tired diver tow. I used the push method for the tired diver. This gave me excellent control, especially when having to turn the diver around. Keep a good pace for the snorkel, but not a slow pace. I had to re-take my snorkel since my pace was too slow. I wasn't even breathing hard after it. So make sure you keep a good pace going. Those are about the only tips I have. Good luck.

Duane

A couple of items since I get to play tired diver a lot during certification tests:
Well rested and well hydrated for everything you are going to do. Some cheap energy is available in the "power bars." Don't eat and get in the water give them an hour or so to get into your system. For myself and tierd diver I always tank tow and swim on my back. Free hand helps swimming and my head is up so I can move as much air as I need. Also swimming on my back helps me control my fins so they don't break the surface as much. The same hints for rest and hydration apply to the float. practice keeping your lungs full as possible and relax. For your swimming requirements just doing laps in the pool is the best practice. Good luck!

Doing flip turns will help your time on the 400m swim.

As for the snorkeling part, see if you can borrow a pair of split fins from a buddy, as splits are designed to propel you forward, ideal for the snorkel test, but not much use while diving. I used ScubaPro Twin Jets during my test, and I flew. I dive with Jets, however.

The tread was the hardest for me, since I'm not that naturally buoyant. My calf started to cramp up the last 5 minutes. The last 2 minutes with hands out of water isn't that bad, they don't need to be above your head or anything, just out of the water. Keep that in mind.

Good luck

Mel

Heh, nostalgia just for the heck of it: I remember our doing the thread and swim assessment in a pool....outdoor....in January.....in 5 C "warm" water. I did the swim in just speedos (a drysuit is waaay too much drag, and I hadn't brought anything wet), then went to the hot shower, which I stood *next* to for 15min -- I was too cold and going under hot water hurt badly. After about 30min total of reheating I was "ok", whiped off and got in the drysuit for the fin-snorkel-swim and the other exercises. The guy I did my DM training together with did his swim in a *thick* semi-dry, and though he was an excellent swimmer, he had to do it again to get a sufficiently good time :(

Anyways, to make the water-treading as fun as the hypothermic swim-assesment, our instructor insisted "no arms and legs" -- we were in drysuits, so the trick to this was to ensure to be correctly weighted to be neutral from the start....

To return to the original question, my "tip" is to do the DM-training somewhere where the water is a little farther from freezing....:)

Glitch:
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for the tests? On the diver tow for example what technique would you use?

Snorkel in mouth, victim on back, victim's heels on your shoulders, your hands on victim's knees to steer, and push. It's the most efficient, lowest drag method. All the other methods gain more control over a potentially panicky victim at the cost of added drag. It's important to have the victim lie out flat with their BC fully inflated, and look up, not back at you - this gives the lowest drag.

Oh yeah, and STOP WORRYING. Plenty of fat slobs pass it every year. The key to swimming faster is relaxing.

Get into shape.

Jog a mile then swim 20 minutes.

Do that for about a month, every day.

Your longest stamina swim would be 1/2 mile, and that takes about 20 minutes, when you are in shape. Then the rest will be easy.

dweeb:
Snorkel in mouth, victim on back, victim's heels on your shoulders, your hands on victim's knees to steer, and push. It's the most efficient, lowest drag method. All the other methods gain more control over a potentially panicky victim at the cost of added drag. It's important to have the victim lie out flat with their BC fully inflated, and look up, not back at you - this gives the lowest drag.
I would agree that this method is best if you are in open water, however if, like me, you have to do it in a pool you'll have no choice but to use the tank drag. It's just too inefficent to try to turn the diver this way.

What I found was that since I had to use the tank, that face down with my arm extended strait out from my side worked best. Any other position caused me to kick the victim. The tank drag was not meant to be performed at high speed.

James

James Goddard:
I would agree that this method is best if you are in open water, however if, like me, you have to do it in a pool you'll have no choice but to use the tank drag. It's just too inefficent to try to turn the diver this way.

James

Don't agree. It works well if you plan the turns, and your "tired diver" cooperates in the turns. Speaking for myself, it would take much longer using your method.

The trick with the snorkle is to keep your fins in the water and having a larger enough snorkle tube so you can get enough air.

MechDiver:
It works well if you plan the turns, and your "tired diver" cooperates in the turns.
Not sure what you mean by "cooperates in the turns". According to the standards (for PADI anyway) the tired diver cannot help in any way:

Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom