Tired after Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can use 400-500 calories per dive at times. Other factors aside this alone can make you feel tired after a day just like any other day on land where you did a lot of physical exercise.

Here's what I suggest. I can only tell you that the combination works wonders for me, and has all but eliminated post-dive crash for me. Listed below with an "impact rating" of 1-5 stars, where 5= "huge impact" and 1= "detectable impact."

Dive dry if the water temp is below 98.6 degrees - *****

OK, a bit of hyperbole perhaps, but if the water temp is lower than your body temp, your body will have to work to keep warm. This is further compounded with multiple dives. OK, and maybe you don't need to dive dry. But dive WARMER than you are diving. And get/stay warm on the surface interval. Strip off a wet wetsuit. Wear a boat coat. Whatever. Every joule of energy you SAVE by not making your body "work" to stay warm will help fend off fatigue later.

Rest between dives - ****

You've got an hour and half, maybe two hours to kill on the SI - take a nap then! As mentioned above, you're already sleep deprived. Adrenaline will get you through the first dive, but you'll crash a bit after that, plus be fatigued from the dive itself. Rest or nap between dives and you'll off-gas more and be better rested and therefore that much more prepared for your second dive, and that much more caught up on your sleep in total.

Frog kick - ***

Flutter kick uses the biggest muscles in your body in a way in which they were never intended. No better way to burn through energy - and wipe yourself out! Well executed frog kicking on the other hand (foot?) is almost effortless. This will make a HUGE difference.

Bouyancy, bouyancy, bouyancy - ***

It seems like everything in diving really does ALL come down to bouyancy and trim. If you can control your position in the water with minimal effort, you will save energy. Simple fact.

Rest on your safety stops - **

Great dive - swimming all around, grabbing lobsters, putting holes in fish, taking pictures, whatever. When it's done you're wiped out, but you then have to haul your tired butt and ~100lbs of stuff up onto the boat. Why not take a rest on your safety stop? Seriously. I don't mean do a standard 3 minutes while twiddling your thumbs. Take 5 minutes. Take 10 if gas supply will allow, and there's not 11 divers on the boat waiting to get to the next dive site! Several benefits here. You'll off-gas more than you would otherwise. You can "wind down" from the dive, perhaps so you can nap on the SI. And, finally you'll just be able to rest a bit. Get and use a jon line if you need to - make it as effortless as possible. Just hang out. I swear I have almost fallen asleep doing 5-10 min stops.

Dive richest nitrox blend the dive profile allows - **

Wonder gas? No! Cure-all? Of course not! That said, your body has to "work" to off-gas after dives. However little, it is work. Add that work to the fatigue from going to bed late because you were packing, getting up early to get to the boat, lugging all your gear on/off boat, doing repetive dives, lugging gear home, rinsing/storing gear, etc. If you're gonna dive you can't eliminate those things, but you can dive Nitrox. I know the studies have been done to show no "real" effect of diving Nitrox on fatigue, headaches, etc. But I can assure you that even if it DOESN'T really work, it's worth it for the placebo effect alone!

Finally, if all else fails...

Take a nap - *****

Thanks guys for all the replies, my dive profile was on average 35-45 foot dives. Absolutly no safety stop and a surface interval of about 30 to 45 minutes.
Dive times were about 50 to 55 minutes. Dont know about ascent rate didnt have a dive computer at the time. But I try and make sure to go up slowly.

Though I think it was my ascent rate and no safety stops. On the last day I was there I did speigel grove with an average depth of 90 feet for two dives and a SI of 1 hour. I did a safety stop of 5 minutes at 45 feet and 5 minutes at 20 feet and 5 minutes at 10 feet. And I didnt feel as tired after those dives as I did on the more shallow dives.

You've got an hour and half, maybe two hours to kill on the SI - take a nap then! As mentioned above, you're already sleep deprived. Adrenaline will get you through the first dive, but you'll crash a bit after that, plus be fatigued from the dive itself. Rest or nap between dives and you'll off-gas more and be better rested and therefore that much more prepared for your second dive, and that much more caught up on your sleep in total.

:shakehead You do not want to sleep during your surface interval!....it is because during sleep or nap the heart rate and respiratory rate fall. This results in slower elimination of residual nitrogen than when you are awake.

Net result is that if you sleep/nap you may not offgas as much nitrogen and that can throw off your calculations for repetitive dives.

Also during sleep you don't notice signs of DCS.

Some will tell you that is a sign of a mild DCS hit. Some will tell you to ascend slower. Some will tell you to try nitrox. Some may even tell you your supposed to be tired after diving....
Yeah it's a combination of burning more calories than you thought you were in water that may not feel cold, doing more with different muscles, and the Nitrogren loading. It happens, more so as you age.
Charlie59:
I think you must be a whiner
I thought you were banned. :wink:

stangscuba98a:

:shakehead You do not want to sleep during your surface interval!....it is because during sleep or nap the heart rate and respiratory rate fall. This results in slower elimination of residual nitrogen than when you are awake.

Net result is that if you sleep/nap you may not offgas as much nitrogen and that can throw off your calculations for repetitive dives.

Hmm - makes sense.

The problem I have with diving is that "the last thing you heard" always makes sense!

:)

RJP:
Originally Posted by stangscuba98a

You do not want to sleep during your surface interval!....it is because during sleep or nap the heart rate and respiratory rate fall. This results in slower elimination of residual nitrogen than when you are awake.

Hmm - makes sense.

The problem I have with diving is that "the last thing you heard" always makes sense!

:)
That could be because you're new with much to learn grasshopper.

It was recently covered on the Dr.Deco forum.

stangscuba98a:
Nitrox is not the cure all for everybody. Air or Nitox I have always been a little tired and can tap a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon after 2 dives in the morning.

Given a chance, I can do that without diving, however they seem to frown on it at work.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Given a chance, I can do that without diving, however they seem to frown on it at work.

Terry
:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom