Tired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
do slower ascents and longer hangs between 30-10 fsw and/or take a nitrox course like some have suggested...
Great advice! I was having a bit of trouble with this very thing and after reading about deep stops and coming up veeerrrrryyyy slowly, I started doing that and it helped!

Try coming up and stopping at 30' for a minute, 20' for a minute and then at least a minute at 10'. It will make a difference and help you off gas in a safe way too.

Good thread.

The fatigue and time consuming were the big issue to me. I have already asked about the time consuming for the local dive trip this board.

Here is the list what I have done to reduce the fatigue

1. stay in the shadow before/after the dive
2. Prepare and organize all gear except the wet suit, For example, put the weight into the pouch before getting the site and set up the all BC and tank if you have a enough room at your car.
3. Use the moving equipment (cart or wheeled box) as much as possible. You can be a macho man before the dive, but after the dive, you don’t want to be a macho guy again.
4. Bring the same number of tanks as the log you dive per day. You don’t need to move around your tank to get a refill.
5. Drink a lot of water
6. Never hurry, take it easy, and think positively.
7. Don’t argue about anything with your buddy, especially with a better half. Otherwise you ruin all your trip!
8. Invest on dry suit and nitrox if it is a feasible and affordable option.

In addition, no matter what exercise you do daily, scuba diving requires a lot of other muscles that we never used on land physical exercise. So, it makes us to be more tired.
But, there is a definitely breaking point you can get over all hassles. So, dive more often!

The tips posted earlier are good. We typically dive 3 dives a day for 5 continuous days then off gas for a full 24 hours. Use your computer and monitor your surface intervals and make sure you are within dive tables (computer limits) limits. Monitor your DSAT levels after an off gas day too. Remember, it takes time to be rid of that nasty nitrogen demon. I discovered a beautiful thing after feeling tired but wanted to dive - POWER NAPS and GATORADE.....this is key to replace lost fluids (electrolytes). On a 3 dive day we do a 0900hrs, 1300hrs, and the last dive (shallow) at 1700hrs. This allows your body to recover, replace lost fluids, and even gives you time to chat with the guests. Alcohol and smoking is a divers enemy too. Use them in moderation. Be safe.

I also get fatigued after a couple of dives, and I have to say that I love it. Kinda like the "pump" that body builders describe (not that I would know). Just adds to the experience for me.

BTW: I'm told that nitrox isn't supposed to physiologically reduce fatigue, but I sure seem to notice a difference. Try it.

its normal, i am pretty fit but after a day of diving all i wanna do is get to bed and sleep. after that i will usually sleep 8-10 hours:)

ABQdiver:
Try coming up and stopping at 30' for a minute, 20' for a minute and then at least a minute at 10'. It will make a difference and help you off gas in a safe way too.

i've found that 1-1-1 isn't really enough on air for me. i can still find myself nodding off in the car on the drive home. we often spend 10-15 mins coming up from 30 fsw, which usually leaves me feeling pretty good, even after an air dive. i'm not sure where the 'sweet spot' is for air -- 2-2-2 or 1-1-3-3 might work. i've just been convinced that compressed air is for tires, nitrox is the way to go...

spend some time at 5 fsw one your way up as well.... take it real slow getting to the surface, that's where the %age pressure differential is the highest...

Good advice:
-Nitrox
-Slowing the final ascent from 30'

Don't discount the final stop, at the surface. It has made a noticeable difference in post dive stress on the body. Inflate the BC or drysuit, chill out on the surface for 5-15 mins before getting out. See how you feel 30 mins to 2 hours later. Bet you'll feel the difference.

Other than breathing deeply and consistently, and moving in the water slowly (without much exertion, thereby decreasing your CO2 buildup), that's all I can think of at the recreational level for you to come out 'clean'. Of course, learning to ride a scooter will help, but that would be a tangent. :>

Sincerely,
Harry

HarryH97:
Inflate the BC or drysuit, chill out on the surface for 5-15 mins before getting out.

That's the first I've heard of that.

Does hanging out in the water on the surface really help?

I'll give it a shot on my next trip, only 4 weeks away...

HarryH97:
Good advice:
Inflate the BC or drysuit, chill out on the surface for 5-15 mins before getting out.

i would have thought that depended on water temp, if the water is cold you might be better off getting out and warming up..

mossym:
i would have thought that depended on water temp, if the water is cold you might be better off getting out and warming up..

Yes,
I am making a huge assumption that thermal protection is not an issue and that you're wearing the appropriate Emperor's clothing...If not, for whatever reason, hot chocolate or tea is appropriate at the surface to get that core temp up. But that assumes that you have good surface support and the ability to relieve yourself, which comes back to having the right garb (Wetsuit or P-valve).

Details of what's going on is better covered in deco and advanced diving classes- but the body is physiologically still off-gassing significantly and you want to minimize exertion during that period. Obviously you can't or don't want to stay on the water surface forever and the benefits are outweighed by getting into something warmer or more comfortable after some time. Some people just move out of the water-that's fine too. But they won't be as 'clean' and could care less about how they feel post dive.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom