Tired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarryH97:
Yes,
I am making a huge assumption that thermal protection is not an issue and that you're wearing the appropriate Emperor's clothing...If not, for whatever reason, hot chocolate or tea is appropriate at the surface to get that core temp up. But that assumes that you have good surface support and the ability to relieve yourself, which comes back to having the right garb (Wetsuit or P-valve).

Details of what's going on is better covered in deco and advanced diving classes- but the body is physiologically still off-gassing significantly and you want to minimize exertion during that period. Obviously you can't or don't want to stay on the water surface forever and the benefits are outweighed by getting into something warmer or more comfortable after some time. Some people just move out of the water-that's fine too. But they won't be as 'clean' and could care less about how they feel post dive.

Harry
excellent post..thanks!!

Here is another thing that will help, and its message is implied in this thread: Simply dive more often. You will find that experience gives you better skills (like being able to focus on S L O W ascents which I think for me is one of the biggest factors to fight the fatigue levels), as well as building up a tolerance of sorts for the sport.

When I first started diving not that long ago I was totally wiped out by the time I got home and could barely finish washing up and hanging my gear. Now with more experience and frequent diving, its much, much better. Before the post-dive nap was mandatory. Now it is an option, and often times I really don't feel the need for one after a two-three-tank dive.

Bear in mind though, I never met a nap I didn't like!

ScubaMax

HarryH97:
Details of what's going on is better covered in deco and advanced diving classes- but the body is physiologically still off-gassing significantly and you want to minimize exertion during that period. Obviously you can't or don't want to stay on the water surface forever and the benefits are outweighed by getting into something warmer or more comfortable after some time.

right when you hit 0 fsw is where you should get the biggest free-phase shower of bubbles in your system. that's when boyle's law expansion of free-phase gas will be largest. at least 3 mins to let the blood circulate and get cleaned by the lungs before lugging your gear up the shore is a good idea...

I'll give it a shot on my next trip. We are planning quite a bit of diving, and normally I'd be dust hanging in a hammock.

The above mentioned techniques will be part of my toolbox now. That, and nitrox, I'm hoping will make for a far more energetic trip.

Thanks for posting all this information.

One item, which I don't think was mentioned is that if you're new, your weighting and buoyancy is probably not optimal yet.

If you're moving through the water at an angle (head higher than feet), you're pushing a lot of water that you don't need to (like rowing a pontoon boat instead of a kayak), and it's a lot of work. This effects your air consumption, as well as fatigue level.

If you fix your buoyancy (by removing weights until you're neutral at the surface with 500 PSI in your tank), you'll find that it's much easier to maintain a horizontal position and move through the water with less effort.

You'll use less gas and feel less tired.

Terry

rockrug:
My dive buddy and I are very new to diving and we're very surprised at how tired we are after a day of diving (2-3 dives) It's not like we're out of shape; I run 4x per week and she swims 5x per week.

Granted, the days have been hot, we were quarry diving and each of us wore a 5mm wetsuit with lots of weight. But geez were we tired!

Is this usual for new divers or are the vets beat after a day of diving too?

Back
Top Bottom