to become an PADI rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my advanced OW for about 2 years now and have logged so far about 35 dives. I'm thinking about becoming a rescue diver but the PADI website says that I would need an EFR first. It seems to me that it is only a first aid course, something that I could acquire for much less money at St. John or Red Cross. Is this the case? If so, which courses should I take at St. John/Red Cross? Or does anyone out there have any other insights as to becoming a rescue diver.

Cheers.

When I did my Rescue Diver training through PADI, they also included EFR and CPR as part of the course. It will vary from shop to shop, so check into it.

Yes, they do. But I checked the course fee of the EFR at the dive shops are much higher than those courses at St. John or Red Cross. That's why I tried to find out whether there is anyway I could maybe save some money there.

You do not need to do the EFR course although as others posted sometimes you do it all with the same instructor which can be very convenient. You can get a First Aid and CPR certification from anywhere as long as it's current (I believe that means within one year) and show proof of that to qualify you to take Rescue. I had my First Aid/CPR certification through the American Heart Association when I took my Rescue class although I have subsequently taken the EFR course. I liked the EFR course a little better-seemed more thorough although that could just be the difference in instructors.
Good luck with Rescue Class-it's one of the most valuable dive classes you'll ever take.

chocolate:
Hi all,

I've had my advanced OW for about 2 years now and have logged so far about 35 dives. I'm thinking about becoming a rescue diver but the PADI website says that I would need an EFR first. It seems to me that it is only a first aid course, something that I could acquire for much less money at St. John or Red Cross. Is this the case? If so, which courses should I take at St. John/Red Cross? Or does anyone out there have any other insights as to becoming a rescue diver.

Cheers.

I am taking my EFR (first aid with CPR/AED basically) through the Red Cross.
I checked w/my local dive center and they said it would be accepted.
$65.00

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/courses/index.html?WT.srch=1

it's kinda tricky to find the actual class sched so let me know if you need any
further assistance with this web site.

Just a reminder. Hang on to your CPR card.

If you go through PADI Divemaster training, you must 1) show your card to your instructor and 2) PADI will require a copy with your Divemaster package submittal. They recognize any CPR card (as long as it is current - within 24 months), but must have a copy on file.

If you take the PADI EFR course which includes CPR, then they'll already have the record.

I paid less than that for my PADI EFR course that was part of my Rescue. How much is the PADI guy charging?

mauigal:
I am taking my EFR (first aid with CPR/AED basically) through the Red Cross.
I checked w/my local dive center and they said it would be accepted.
$65.00

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/courses/index.html?WT.srch=1

it's kinda tricky to find the actual class sched so let me know if you need any
further assistance with this web site.

We're doing Rescue later this year and they told us we just need a current First Aid/CPR card from a recognized agency.

BrianS:
I paid less than that for my PADI EFR course that was part of my Rescue. How much is the PADI guy charging?

I am pretty sure they said around $165-$185 ughhh
that is why I was looking for different options.
The rescue class is $185 + $100 if I do all the required
dives in 1 day or $265 if I do it over 2 (incl hotel).

I am used to diving in Ca where I didn't have to pay
for entry fees etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom