To drink the Kool aid or Not drink the Kool Aid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Morning guys!
Well I just got back from a trip to Little Cayman and had a great time. Only thing that I didn't like was getting my bag under the 50 pound limit. After getting back I started thinking "which is scarey". I currently have a Zeagle Ranger LTD, and its a pretty big BCD and not that easy to pack on trips and I think with the lumbar pad and everything it requires me to wear a few extra pounds of weight. I've about 95% decided just for a change to hang up the Ranger and get a Halcyon Eclipse BP/W. Any of you guys that have used both think I will be disappointed? Or will it just take a little getting used to? I know there are cheaper BP/W's out there but I don't mind spending the money on something I think I will have for awhile, and from what I've seen they hold their value better than some makes. Anyhow any advice would be appreciated. And I know its better to demo something before buying unfortunately not much options around my area. I just figure the only think I will be missing is the pockets, and they weren't that easy to use while diving anyhow.
Thanks
David

I have dove the LTD and 911 in the past, but now just a BP/W setup. I don't think you will regret switching. I actually find the BP/W easier to deal with however if you elect to do doubles someday you will (or rather you should) invest in a wing designed for doubles rather than something that is advertised as able to "do both singles and doubles." Same for singles....get a wing designed for singles. I use a Oxychek Mach V Extreme, which is just about bomb proof and is very easy to dive. Have a Dive Rite and also an OMS for doubles (I like the OMS the best actually).

The BP/W for me was a lot easier to trim out with, requires A LOT less weight (if you are using a stainless steel plate). For traveling though I think you are going to find that the BP/W weighs about the same or perhaps more than a Zeagle does. It is however, easier to pack. Worse comes to worse use an aluminum plate.

While I have never done so, you might see if you can get ahold of Tobin at DSS. I have seen enough posts referencing him being very helpful and with more than enough insight to be able to help you out. Look through some of the posts on the BC forum and you will likely run across his name...or he may respond to you here.

Edit...Tobin's handle here is cool_hardware52

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Yep not totally against calling Tobin, I have also read alot of good stuff about him and his products. Just kinda got my mind set on the limited edition H2:Spec from Halcyon. But my mind can be changed!
David

I haven't dived the Zeagle, but if you're looking for a way to minimize weight in the baggage, a BP/W is a good way to do it. I use the Kydex plate from DSS for travel, and just put some weights in camband pockets when I get to my destination. Works very well, and the Kydex plate and wing is about four pounds lighter than my BC was. And it packs up much smaller.

You won't regret it for a minute. I switched from a ScubaPro SuperHawk to a BP/W and it took about 5 minutes in the water for me to be seriously happy with the switch. I've never gone back to a standard rig.

I'll support the opinion of those who say call Tobin. I own both an Evolve 40 and a DSS Torus 35 ... and the Torus is way easier to travel with. It packs smaller, does not use an STA, and you can remove it more easily from the backplate. That last is important for travel because you'll want to separate the two and pack them separately (I wrap the BP in my wetsuit) to eliminate the potential for pinch damage when the baggage gorillas get ahold of your luggage.

To my concern, both are very durable wings ... but if you're thinking of this wing in terms of travel, I'll give all the advantages to DSS. It's less expensive too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have an Eclipse, and while I love it, it isn't worth the extra money over the DSS setups. I recently purchased a Torus 49 doubles wing and love it to death after only 2 dives. :D

I have no experience with either of the models you mentioned, but I made the switch from jacket to BP/W recently. You do not so much get used to or learn to use a BP/W as you just stop thinking about diving and just dive. Very natural feel UW.

My main comment though, you can buy pockets for your rig. I have one that attaches to the harness as well as my thigh, which makes it much easier to use. I could not really get into the pockets on my Seaquest.

You give up nothing in the transfer.

I just switched from the Zeagle Ranger to an OMS bp/w. I wouldn't go back. The main advantage for me is the BP/W seems to fit closer to my back. With the Ranger and using the integrated weight pockets in a horizontal position I felt like I was falling away from the BC. After several dives my lower back would start to hurt. I don't get this feeling with the bp/w setup.

The bad news is I'm traveling with the bp/w and dry suit. I checked in with 2 bags. The first was at 54lbs, the second at 50lbs. I solved the problem by carrying my ankle weight on the plane.

With Halcyon it always seems worth asking for a discount on the marked price. They seem to be a bit hot on getting suppliers to stick to the RRP - at least in the shop window.

Also, with any Halcyon wing I'd get it with a different inflater. Sorry, but those metal Halcyon power inflaters suck. Even since the recall I keep seeing people with leaking ones. Just get a Scubapro inflater or similar fitted.

Also, with any Halcyon wing I'd get it with a different inflater. Sorry, but those metal Halcyon power inflaters suck. Even since the recall I keep seeing people with leaking ones. Just get a Scubapro inflater or similar fitted.

Make sure you get your facts straight --- Halcyon hasn't sold metal inflators in years.

Halcyon:
All Halcyon Eclipse, Explorer, and Evolve MC Systems, as well as individual wings, come outfitted with a non-serviceable OEM power inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom