To drink the Kool aid or Not drink the Kool Aid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you get your facts straight --- Halcyon hasn't sold metal inflators in years.

Might still be some inventory out there with them, though ... my Evolve 60 isn't that old, and it came with one. I replaced it before the wing ever went in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Make sure you get your facts straight --- Halcyon hasn't sold metal inflators in years.

That's true, and after mine failed, it only took them 11 months to send the warranty replacement. You might want to look at Oxycheq, OMS or DSS.

Which is very different than saying Halcyons haven't been sold with their metal inflators for years. I can think of a couple of shops here which have them on the shelves right now.

Hmmmmmm...I never realized buying some gear with "H" on equates to drinking the Kool Aid.

By the way- just sold my BP/W a few months ago. Hated it.

BLASPHEMY!!! A SCUBABOARD HERETIC!!! STONE HIM!!!

Hmmmmmm...I never realized buying some gear with "H" on equates to drinking the Kool Aid.
It doesn't.
By the way- just sold my BP/W a few months ago. Hated it.

BLASPHEMY!!! A SCUBABOARD HERETIC!!! STONE HIM!!!

Which BP/W and what did you hate about it? What did you replace it with? I'm sincerely curious.

I think you were already stoned when you switched from the BP/W. heheh, humor....it's just humor.

Get you a Zeagle Scout($200 US) for your traveling..Wife & I(2 divers) made that same trip last summer & were over weight by about ??10#s total(2 suitcases, carryons, her big purse, UW camera housing, & laptop)--cost us I think ??$6 to 8 for extra weight.....

The main reason I like to dive a BP/W is to get better weight distribution when I am diving dry. I use 20lbs +/- of weight, so with my BP/W that drops to 10# or so depending on my exposure protection.

When I travel, I use a travel BC (Zeagle Stiletto).

For whatever reason, most that dive BP/W's are bit zealous about that choice. I'm very positive that packing up my 10#+ BP/W is going to contribute to additional baggage weight, and not really impact my diving one way or another. So I leave that at home, and take a lightweight travel BC. With 3/2 exposure protection, I don't wear more than 10# total weight, and I could likely get by with less.

My opinion on BP/W's is that they work great especially when one needs to use a bit of weight, but don't dive that much different using singles vs. a good back inflate BC.

I agree that the Ranger's bladder is overkill unless you are a really big dude. I started out with a nice used Ranger that I got on the cheap, and replaced it with a new Stiletto that I got on the cheap! :D

This Board is likely the best thing that ever happened to the BP/W manufacture. However I'm not sure they are any better for single tank diving vs. many Back Inflate BC's on the market.

Which BP/W and what did you hate about it? What did you replace it with? I'm sincerely curious.

I think you were already stoned when you switched from the BP/W. heheh, humor....it's just humor.

I use a Scubapro Knighthawk...I never went back to it as I never left it. I used an H SS plate and Diverite rec wing (more blasphemy), then an OMS AL plate with the rec wing. I really gave it a fair shake for 30 or so dives.

What I hated:

Wearing a weight belt.
The floppy weight pockets I purchased to get rid of said weight belt. (Scubapro's weight system has spoiled me....as have their cam bands.)
Wearing an octo (HERETIC!)
The stupid double cam straps on a rocking boat while changing tanks.
No where to stow a powerhead (Knighthawk has a perfect little "mini- pocket" on bottom left.)
No where to stow a lobster bag and SMB at the same time.

Really it was fine, but for what I do- teach and spearfish- the knighthawk makes far more sense. The BP/W was fine as far as BCs go, but a PITA for what I do.

Before anyone goes off-- yes it was set up right and I have no problem being "trim" in my Knighthawk.

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Which is very different than saying Halcyons haven't been sold with their metal inflators for years. I can think of a couple of shops here which have them on the shelves right now.

Eh, dive shops have a low turnover rate for products like that.

If you like zeagle gear then they also make a backplate and wing setup
I use the zeagle SS plate with the 34# wing, very nice.
like matts1w, i'm a bit of a heretic. i almost changed from bpw to rear inflate bcd... i settled on moving from single piece harness to a harness with pinch clips (a deluxe harness).
stone me

Back
Top Bottom