to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will dive with my knife and my gloves, thank you! Any operator who does not like that can take someone else's money.

stangscuba98a:
No knives off boats there also? What about gloves?

That's not what I said. Or meant. Here we carry ways to cut ourselves free & gloves are a good idea. So good that during my daughter's OW course they are required to wear them at all times while in the water.

I cut myself free of something on a fairly regular basis diving around Panama City.

Thalassamania:
I will dive with my knife and my gloves, thank you! Any operator who does not like that can take someone else's money.

Knives I can see is no big deal but I have seen alot of places say...Please don't wear gloves (you won't need them because you're not going to touch anything)

Bonaire most recently to protect marine park.

Wayward Son:
That's not what I said. Or meant. Here we carry ways to cut ourselves free & gloves are a good idea. So good that during my daughter's OW course they are required to wear them at all times while in the water.

I cut myself free of something on a fairly regular basis diving around Panama City.

Relax..no problem, misunderstood.

stangscuba98a:
Cozumel Dive Paradise most recently.....St. Croix last trip, San Salvador..just off the top of my head.

Odd, but this is why I stay away from commercial operations. A knife is a tool, that is all, there are people who wear gloves not to touch, but to remedy circulatory issues, or things such as Raynaud's Syndrome....

Doc....

I know that one's diving environment usually dictates the tools one carries while diving. So the dive can affect the tools. In addition to your shears, you might consider the addition of some type of blade, preferably one with a serrated edge. I have found, over time, that the nedd for a blade has far outnumbered the shears. Those instances have almost always involved heavier line, kelp or other things wherenthe use of shears was not practical. Now.....don't get me wrong...I carry and use shears...always when spearfishing because cutting cable or wire is a consideration. The knifves I carry (2) are rather small. Both have serrated edges and are accesible to both hands. One is on the front of BCD near waist band, other folds and is in accessible again to both hands. At any rate, a good stainless folding blade might be something to consider. JMO.

Regards,

NetDoc:
I dive with shears only.

There is too great of a temptation for me to stick my buddy should I see a shark! :D

I touch nothing and I wear gloves.

Netdoc,

I know that one's diving environment usually dictates the tools one carries while diving. So the dive can affect the tools. In addition to your shears, you might consider the addition of some type of blade, preferably one with a serrated edge. I have found, over time, that the need for a blade has far outnumbered the shears. Those instances have almost always involved heavier line, kelp or other things where the use of shears was not practical. Now.....don't get me wrong...I carry and use shears...always when spearfishing because cutting cable or wire is a consideration. The knives I carry (2) are rather small. Both have serrated edges and are accesible to both hands. One is on the front of BCD near waist band, other folds and is in accessible again to both hands. At any rate, a good stainless folding blade might be something to consider.

Regards,

stangscuba98a:
Most boats nowadays require you leave knifves on the boat and are not allowed in the water, same as gloves.

I've been told that too...its B.S., don't let them "make you" leave anything on the boat. I was told that knives weren't allowed because people poke things and gloves weren't allowed because people touch things...I told them I was taking them in the water with me, and I did...and that was that. (for reference this happened both in St. Croix and Grand Cayman)

Polite but firm works every time, but I've never been asked to do so. I guess one look (or smell?) and they leave me alone<G>.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom